• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marble update. Im in shock.

Shall I changed my Rabbits Name?

• Change Poppys Name

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Keep Poppys Name

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

xShellx

Alpha Buck
My buns just got back from vets. Both had mixi jabs and marble had his hip looked at.

First off all the good news! Vets happy with Marbles progress. Hes using his leg and can go back into his big hutch. Vet also said hes fine to go in the small run.

Poppy turned out to be a Buck!!! So poor Marble didnt need to be castrated! The vet said I could put them together stright away.

So I got home and put them together in the small run for an hour. ANd they seam ok. Marble keeps trying to make love to Poppy which is odd???

So they are now living together. Put them in the large hutch together. Just checked on them they are fine no fighting at all!!!

1 problem. Shall I keep the name Poppy and the pink lead??? lol My son is only 2 and will be confussed if I change the name. What can I call him which sounds like Poppy???

Is Poppy castrated? Unneutered bucks tend to fight hence they need to be castrated even if there isn't a girl involved :) You might be luckily with youngsters but its best to castrated asap as hormones, changes in accommodation, wiff of another bun etc. can all trigger fighting and once they have fought it's usually impossible to get them back together even after castration.

Tam

Marbles castrated and Poppy isnt. Poppy is very laid back and its been Marble mounting Poppy. What ages do they mature as Poppy is 12 Weeks old, Thanks Shell

you will probably need to get Poppy neutered in a few weeks to stop them fighting, just make sure you take Marble with him and they shouldn't fall out. At the mo it's Marble that's hormonal, so he's doing the mounting - what causes trouble is when Poppy's hormones kick in and he objects to this and turns on Marble. It does seem from several people that boys get worse behaved after neuter for a few months, then calm down.

Is it possible for them to live together or best to go for castration.

My OH said to ring breader and swap Poppy for a doe but I cant do that as im attached to her (him).

Poor Marble I thought I bought him a GF.

Im really happy that Marbles leg is healed. So Happy I gave him a change and didnt PTS. He will prob always limp and lean on the good side. Hes still on Metacam, I will ask in 2 weeks time if I can stop it.

SHell

I changed my rabbit's name and my friend's 4 yr old daughterwho lives with me got used to it in no time :D its up to you though. I would find it odd calling a boy poppy! :lol:

Get poppey(poppeye) neutered as soon as your vet will do it. You might want to keep them separated until you do. If they have a bad fight you might not be able to bond them in the future.

Get poppey(poppeye) neutered as soon as your vet will do it. You might want to keep them separated until you do. If they have a bad fight you might not be able to bond them in the future.

They are together. Poppy is very laid back and the vets said they should be fine.

What age does a buck mature and is fully grown? Shell

They are together. Poppy is very laid back and the vets said they should be fine.

What age does a buck mature and is fully grown? Shell

you could probably get him done from 16 weeks (4 months). The worry is all due respect to your vet, your bun doesn't have his full set of hormones yet. When those kick in he may decided that he's had enough. I can think of at least one person who was in your situation here and before the hormones kicked in it was fine but she came home one day to two buns that needed serious vet treatment and she was never able to rebond them.

I can think of at least one person who was in your situation here and before the hormones kicked in it was fine but she came home one day to two buns that needed serious vet treatment and she was never able to rebond them.

I can think of few cases.... dont risk it, neuter.

Agree neuter as soon as possible

As for name if you don't like Popeye choose something completely different such as Peter..then start calling him Poppy-peter..and gradually stress the Peter more..then drop the Poppy..your four year old will hardly notice the change:lol:

Agree neuter as soon as possible

As for name if you don't like Popeye choose something completely different such as Peter..then start calling him Poppy-peter..and gradually stress the Peter more..then drop the Poppy..your four year old will hardly notice the change:lol:

I might go for Peter as he is same colour as peter rabbit.

I will ask vet about castrating Poppy lol. Will it really work with 2 Castrated males?? Or shall I ask breader to swap for a female. Does breed make any difference as I thought Flemish giants are laid back.

Thanks for everyones advice xxx

two castrated males can work very well as long as they haven;t fought first which is why I suggested keeping them separated until they are both neutered and hormones have dies down.

Oh no do you think they will be ok overnight. I keep going outside to look and they are doing there own thing. Shell

Back