• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prescriptions???

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Hi

Does anyone know about getting a prescription. I know by law the vet would have to give you one if you asked but what about administering the drug and how good were the vets about it??

I have a friend who is a vet but her practice has made her sign a contract saying she cannot treat anyones animals for financial gain.

So i have seen you can buy myxo and vhd preps on hyperdrug.co.uk with a prescription. And I think my friend could administer it as i would not be paying her.

:?

Hmmm. The way I understand prescriptions is that the vet needs to see your pet to prescribe medication, unless there is a reason for you to repeatedly have the same item. For example, one of my rabbits, Inky, suffers with a sore paw and has Metacam for it because his is a long-term problem, it's on his notes that I can buy the drug without a vet seeing him and I guess I could get a prescription and go elsewhere if I wanted.

With regards to getting your friend to do your Mxyi and VHD vaccs, I'm not sure whether it would work out that much cheaper because these drugs have a limited shelf-life and have to be discarded after a certain time.

I have 9 buns at present and on this website you can get 5 doses for about £35.00, a lot cheaper than £20 per bun at the vets but as you say the vet would need to see each bun to prescribe the drugs anyway so there would at least be a £10 consultation on each bun first anyway.

So yes possibly not much cheaper. :roll:

The other thing to bare in mind is that, myxo need to have a percentage injected into the skin, and the rest put in subcutaneously, also the VHD vaccine is quite dangerous to humans, because of this I would always have a vet inject who was insured to do the job. Your friend may not be insured if anything went wrong.

Yes i do think that with all the 'risks' and 'complications' it is not really a good idea.

Worth knowing about the prescriptions tho...

They probably wouldn't give you the prescription without health checking each rabbit (and charging a consultation fee).

Does the cost include delivery? That might add to the cost.

Have you discussed it with your vet. You may get a discount is you prebook so they can buy multi dose viles :)

They probably wouldn't give you the prescription without health checking each rabbit (and charging a consultation fee).

Have you discussed it with your vet. You may get a discount is you prebook so they can buy multi dose viles :)

Yeah i asked them if i got a discount for 9 buns, they said the computer won't let them... I'm not sure how stupid they think people are but I'm quite sure computer only do what they are told... at least the ones i operate!! :lol:

Prescription meds you are able to buy after the vet has seen your pet and given permission for you to buy your drugs elsewhere. A lot of vets don't like doing this as they usually have over a 100% mark up on their drugs so if we were all to buy our drugs online they would probably put their consulting and operating prices up further to make up their losses. It's a bit unfair really because they charge ridiculous amounts for drugs...for example they charge 40 quid for a 100ml bottle of metacam yet you can get it on vetuk for just 18 with a prescription. I buy things like panacur online because at 3.53 it is half the price the vets charge...I just wish they would sell things like rearguard without a prescription!!!!

Or vets give multiple discounts, for cats, rabbits and dogs, so I'm sure your vet's computer can do the same, unless it is a big company which doesn't allow this to happen.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I agree the vets wouldn't make so much money if we all took our prescriptions and ran.

Anyway, they are good vets and have always been helpful etc.

So I guess it's the credit card that gets a beating again... :roll:

:)

The vaccines have to be kept refridgerated so delivery can be expensive....people who do self-vaccinate usually have the vaccines delivered along with their vets normal stock direct to the surgery.

The vets would need to see/health check the rabbits before vaccinating as legally the prescription must be in relation to an animal directly under the vets care.

I looked into self-vaccinating in some detail and we could not see a way around quite a few issues so decided against it.

The other thing to bare in mind is that, myxo need to have a percentage injected into the skin, and the rest put in subcutaneously, also the VHD vaccine is quite dangerous to humans, because of this I would always have a vet inject who was insured to do the job. Your friend may not be insured if anything went wrong.

When it comes to vaccinations, administering the myxo vac in the correct way with 10% in the skin can be tricky and of all the injections you can give this is one that takes practice!

With vhd ie cylap or lapinject..... read the notes that accompany each bottle and unless you are very confident as to your abilities my advice would be do not do it. You could loose a finger if you get it wrong ...or worse...you have been warned.

Another point to bear in mind.although slightly off this thread. If you self
treat your animal and something goes wrong or there is a problem ....be prepared for any vet to perhaps not want to further treat your animal after your hash up.

We have had this between veterinary practices, one vet made a complete hash of a spay and the practice had no appointments to see her even though her guts were starting got come out!!!!!,another practice would not touch her... not even to re-suture as an emergency. Another vet stuck her up with vet-bond which or course failed and finally a call out vet from another practice in the same call out rota finally re-did the surgery properly.But even then we kept it quiet where she had had the orriginal operation and she just assumed the stick it up vet had operated to start with.......The bunny nearly died.

I know this tale of woe is between vets but I can tell you for fact that vets do not like taking over treatment from othervets let alone non trained and unqualified individuals.

Back