• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ticks??

xx-lou-xx

Young Bun
Think i just found a tick in the hutch, obviously got rid of it straight away...
But are they harmful to rabbits? Its just you never really hear of ticks on rabbits, more cats and dogs. And is there likely to be more in the hutch? Should i have a thorough clean out?
Charlie's just got back from the vets from being neutered and he's fine but don't want to disturb him too much.

it was probably in the hay - probably best to check to see if there are any more... Ticks can carry diseases, not sure if they can transmit Myxi or VHD though... they're more well known for transmitting Lymes disease and red water fever etc. (which don't effect rabbits that I know of)
I'd check the base of his ears for any more - they tend to bite there...

ok thank you! I never really hear of ticks affecting rabbits so wasn't sure!
Just didn't want to disturb him too much as i'm probably not his favourite person after his op today :)

ok thank you! I never really hear of ticks affecting rabbits so wasn't sure!
Just didn't want to disturb him too much as i'm probably not his favourite person after his op today :)

they're not a major problem, but there is a Rabbit tick - Ixodes ventalloi
I worked on a tick project in Wales for a couple of summers :oops: we mostly caught sheep ticks though :)

My rabbit Honey gets ticks all the time, they show up easily as she is white and they are black when they are little. I think there must be lots in my garden or something. They are usually just above her nose, or sometimes by her eyes or once behind her ears. I bought a set of tick hooks from my vet to get them off with. I know ticks carry Lymes disease which is transferable to humans!! so you must make sure when removing with tick hook that you don't touch the tick with your hands.

Anyone elses rabbits get ticks often?

In the summer Honey can get 1 a week :( but I remove them as soon as I see them which is when they are really small as I check her 2-3 times a day.

I've never had ticks on my rabbits but I think it will be a bad year for these external parasites, because tis been such a mild winter. My cats have been coming in covered in fleas already.

Back