• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sunflowers

Mine have eaten a couple in the past, not intentionally but because the birds scatter them sometimes from the feeders!

They are high in oil and therefore for energy so wouldn't be something that I think you would intentionally feed.

Hannah

mmm i read they could eat the whole of the flower head..i didnt mean in one go:lol: i meant all of it was edible!

some seeds as a treat do wonders for their coats tho.;)

also read somewhere that if you grow subflowers..when its time to harvest the seeds..the leaves can be fed to poultry and rabbits?

ohhh feeling a lot better myself now as the birds knocked some sunflower seeds from the feeder the other day dora gobbled them up naughty bun (not loads) have since moved the feeder but i shant worry so much in future!

Buns can eat the whole plant - flowers, seeds, leaves and stems! but as mentioned it's best to make sure they don't have too many seeds as they are high in fat. You can take all the seeds out of the flower heads though so that you can still feed them to the buns.

I tried to grow sunflowers last year, but all Deej got was about 2 leaves because snails managed to kill my plants *sigh* :rolleyes:

I was told that sunflower seed oil would be good for my fuzzys hair so I gave her a sunflower head to munch on and all she would eat was the leaves. She still wont eat the seeds unless I shell them for her.

they can eat the plant quite happily, the seeds in moderation (gives a nice glossy sheen to their coats).

Back