• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nephew keeps feeding plant to buns

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

My nephew keep giving the rabbits plants from the garden. We have bluebells, danodils, daisys, tulips, dandelions and some other plant I don't know. I keep finding bits of plant in there which they have obviously tried to feed to them. I'm trying to fight to stop him but no-one else in the family seems bothered. They can pay for the vet bill when one of the buns gets ill. :evil::censored: What can I do to protect the rabbits? I was going to get fly nets to put all the way around the run, and a lock on the run roof, as he does open it from time to time. Do fly nets have small holes, so he couldn't get a plant/flower through? And do fly nets obstruct the view from the run, ie, the rabbits' view, can they see out? Will all these procautions stop him feeding them? And, this boy is someone who does not like being told off. He hits and yells at you if you do.

I'd get a padlock on the run lid and then get fly netting, you can staple it onto the outside and he won't be able to get through to give them anything.

Helen x

How old is he? Could you show him the plants they can eat and explain how ill they will get if he feeds them the wrong ones? Maybe if you appeal to his good side you might get somewhere. Small children usually love to be told how big and clever they are if they do the right thing.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Also how about if you supervise him feeding them some dandilions too, if you say he can feed them but only when you are around and teach him the ones that he can give them. If he doesn't feel like you are stopping him from feeding them all together then he might not kick up a fuss.

Helen x

This is why it started. We allowed him to feed them dandelions and daisys but it has now turned into a game and he'll just give them anything. I think we should just stop it altogether, so that there is no chance that they could give them anything bad. And cos we have buttercups in the garden, they may mistake a buttercup for a dandelion. (I do try and pick all the buttercups in the garden, but I can't be sure I've got them all).

watch him until he looks like he's going to do it again... sneak up behind him... then shout at him when he does (I was going to say hit him, but I'd get told off)... if he is 4, you can run faster than him so it doesn't matter if he kicks and screams :)

watch him until he looks like he's going to do it again... sneak up behind him... then shout at him when he does (I was going to say hit him, but I'd get told off)... if he is 4, you can run faster than him so it doesn't matter if he kicks and screams :)

Thats just cruel!!

But then I hate it when people make me jump!

But he's 4!! Tell his parents to stop him, or just tell him off yourself. He needs to learn to hear NO by the sound of it.

I know. It's awful. You have to do everything he says otherwise it distrubs the peace. He is bad at school too, I think they should be tougher on him, but you know.

Can bunnies see out of a fly net? The girls love seeing what's going on all the time, (so nosy!!! :lol:), so will they affect them?

I know. It's awful. You have to do everything he says otherwise it distrubs the peace. He is bad at school too, I think they should be tougher on him, but you know.

Can bunnies see out of a fly net? The girls love seeing what's going on all the time, (so nosy!!! :lol:), so will they affect them?

:shock: :shock: Do the parents have no control! It must be hard for you as I guess you can't really disicplin him if the parents don't. Can you put the buns in the hutch when he's there?

Yes they can se fine out of the netting:D

Nope, they don't. The bunnies love being out on the grass, and if we did put them into the hutch, they'd be in there 3 days a week, and the hutch still have holes, so they could still feed them. :?

Nope, they don't. The bunnies love being out on the grass, and if we did put them into the hutch, they'd be in there 3 days a week, and the hutch still have holes, so they could still feed them. :?

Oh right. I thought he may be an occasional visitor. In that case I really think you need to speak to your parents, when he gets older he may let them out or feed them something really bad for them.

Yep, thanks. I'll put the fly nets on for the summer, but obviously in winter, we'll have to do something else, like teaching him right from wrong. And the padlock will go in the roof asap.

how often is he round?! he must be your brother/sister's child - could you not have a firm word with them about how much your rabbits mean to you and how upset you'd be if they died, and explain to them how easily that could happen if theyre given poisonous plants. i know its hard with family though :( good luck x x

I would say something to the kids parents, how would they feel if you gave the kid something that possibly isnt safe for him to eat! :? None of my family would dare feed my rabbits anything without me saying its safe :shock: My mum even phones my up at work to check if she can give the rats something or fill up the buns hay!

If they dont want to do anything about it then I would do it myself. I told one of my mums friends kids off when he wouldnt get away from Trip and Scarletts hutch and was squealing at them, I shouted they will bite your little fingers right off and he ran off crying for a few minutes then found something else to do :oops: His mum was like :shock: but I asked her to move the kid about 5 times and she didnt bother :roll:

Good luck, it must be hard with him being family though :( x

Back