• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hints on how to check buns teeth.

muffinsmum

Warren Scout
Having read a few of the threads here about bunny dental checks, I thought I would ask if it is ok to check your own buns, the books I own say that a vet should do it.....if its ok, how do you go about doing a check without stressing the bun out? any advice will be greatly appreciated:wave:.

Well, checking the front ones is fairly easy. You just sort of lift up their lips and you can see if they are even.

The back ones, really you need a vet to do those, with one of those torch things.

i check the front one by having bun on his back on my kness and i fuss fuss fuss his cheeks which he loves and i try to sneak my thumbs to manouvere (i can't spell that!!) his lips about! he doesn't suspect a thing, mwahaha! the back ones have to been checked by the vets, i wouldn't give it a whirl! :lol:

it easy to see the front teeth as mentioned, all i do then is feel the sides of his mouth where his molars are to see if i can feel any lumps or bumps but you cant see inside there so vet checks with the instrument thing

To check the back molars you either need to posses an otoscope and have been trained how to use it and what you are looking for or to see a vet. Other things to monitor are any changes in the jaw, unusual bumps or lumps and any sharpness on the molars.....I tend to run my small finger along the inside and outside edges to detect and painful spurs but I have been bitten on occasion and it :censored: hurt.

Of course watching for damp chins, dribbling, food dropping and a change of eating habits is also an indication of tooth trouble.

Back