• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lilly has bad teeth

I thought that Lilly wasn't eating as she used to (see last night's post about hiding food), and I tried to look at her mouth. She really didn't like it, but I thought I saw a tooth poking out. I made an appointment with our vet and took her down to him this morning.

She has malocclusion (sp?) and he's recommended that we think about having her teeth removed completely. They were really overgrown and I feel awful that I didn't spot it before.

She's had her teeth trimmed today, and I've got antibiotics to syringe into her mouth because the top teeth had curled round and cut her. I've already given her the first dose, and she took the medicine without too much fuss (incredible seeing as it's our first time!).

Please don't tell me that I've been cruel to let her get like that, because I know I've messed up and I am already guilt-ridden about it - I just didn't spot it before and we've only had her a few weeks.

What I'd like is some advice on the pros/cons of having her teeth removed against have them ground down on a regular (and the vet reckons every three to four weeks) basis.

Thanks xx

What I'd like is some advice on the pros/cons of having her teeth removed against have them ground down on a regular (and the vet reckons every three to four weeks) basis.

Hi, what are you feeding her? We had a similar problem with both our dwarf lops in that they were going back to the vet every 4 weeks for a molar burr. We gradually changed their diet from pellets and hay to a minute amount of pellets, unlimited meadow grass and herbs (thyme/sage/fennel/lavender) and touch wood, not had a problem since! Their poo consistency is alot better too!

:wave: no-one will think you've been cruel and you shouldn't feel guilty either, we can tell you obviously care for Lilly!

tooth problems can sometimes be down to the parents and even with the best diet and care, etc, it's not always because they've been cared for wrongly.

i'm not surprised you didn't spot a tooth problem - have you ever tried looking in a rabbit mouth?! i can't do it for love nor money with my little boy! :lol:

good luck with whatever you decide and all the best to Lilly and her sore little mush! bless her! make sure you pop some pics up soon, we'd love to see her!

Back