• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piggy Herd Housing?

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Just wondering how many people here keep a herd of piggies and where they live? I'd like to put all of my girls in together but will need some new housing for them, ideally an outdoor home for the summer.

What about a playhouse or one of those huge hutches with a run underneath?:D

I was thinking of selling my triple rabbit hutches at the end of the summer, pm me if you are interested. You can see them on the accommodation page on my website. They haven't been used much and I was thinking of getting a 6x2 hutch with run underneath instead.

Last edited:
I keep my (increasing) herd of 8 sows in a 10" x 6" shed. Currently they are just on the floor but once I've got operation garden out the way I'm going to add another floor, make a stable door and attempt to add a run but the shed is about 1' off the ground so will be a challenge!!:lol::lol:

Thanks everyone. Dave has agreed to move my empty 8ft hutch this weekend from where it is at the mo so I'll be able to use that and I'm hoping he'll build me a run around it. Will keep you all posted!

I have a herd of 9 guinea pigs, kept in a 12ft by 6ft covered run. There are 8 females and one castrated male. They age from 4 years to 10 weeks old, and they all get on fine.

This is ours....

Built it 10 years ago, and upgraded due to a fox attack 4 years ago...
New Hutch installed last year
Sizes Run 10' x 7' Hutch 5' x 5'
Our piggies seem to like it :)

Currently 6 sows and 2 unrelated neutered boars

GPhutch1.jpg

GPhutch2.jpg

GPhutch3.jpg

GPrun1.jpg

GPrun2.jpg

GPrun3.jpg

GPrun4.jpg

GPrun5.jpg

GPrun6.jpg

GPrun7.jpg

GPrun8.jpg

GPrun9.jpg

GPrun10.jpg

Very impressive!

I've just been trying to pin Dave down as to what he's going to do about mine (no joy though :roll:). The hutch is 8' x 2.5' but is also 2.5' high so I was thinking I could add another level in, maybe just as shelves/balconies. I also want him to build a run around it for me, the bigger the better :D

Nope don't cover that either, they're tough my lot.

If they think there's veggies or fruit on the way they'll be out come rain,snow or sun.:D

I am constantly amazed at where a piggy puts food, hay and veg that makes a bigger pile than the size of it's whole body :shock::lol:

Back