• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

too late to neutre?

teresa1982

New Kit
my bun is a netherland dwarf,he is a 2 years old and i was wondering is it too late to neuture? should i bother i mean i want him to get friendly and some people say neutering is good for calming, so shall i get it done or leave as is?

Last edited:
I think a neutered bunny is probably a happier bunny, also stops them spraying. You can still get him done at 2 years, he is only young :)

I agree. He's still a youngster, and I think age is an issue only if the bunster is in poorly health as well.:)

Last edited:
:wave: not too old at all. you'll be amazed how much calmer your bun will be once neutered.

Two years old is still young in bunny terms. Your vet should give him a health check before the op to check for any problems but it wouldn't be any more risky than on a sixth month old (for example).

Neutering gets rid of hormones which control behaviours such as territorial marking (spraying urine and scattering poops), territorial aggression (attcking things like your hand when they go in the hutch/cage and often general grumpyness to. It does take a few weeks for the hormones to settle down so don't expect an instant change.

Tamsin

2 years is still ver young buns can live to 14 (i have a 10year old) the risks do go up with surgery will age/ill health just ensure you have a good rabbit savvy vet! xx

My simba was neutered when he was 2yrs old :D Also Nala was about 2.5yrs old when she was spayed :D Both recovered well and meant they could then live with company :D

My Millie was spayed hwen she was about 3 1/2 years old and had no problems. Healed really quickly and she is definately a calmer bun now :D

i'd just like to say (again ;-)), that I have a netherland dwarf who is almost 2 now, and i never got him spayed as he is an only bunny. He is however extremely happy and has a soft toy that he uses for his 'urges'. He has never been aggressive to anyone and is extremely affectionate.
I guess it also depends on the personality of the bunny, but I found that there was no need to spay a male bun if you keep him alone.... just a different opinion...

Back