• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

food and hygeine for indoor buns in cages

teresa1982

New Kit
Hi does anyone else appart from me have fussy rabbit, all mine eats is dry mi food, but only certain things in it and carrott a bit of apple and green cabbage. wont touch treats u can buy in stores, y that, is he just fussy? also wanted to know is it safe to line a cage with newspaper i use sawfust but cos its indoors it gets messy? when he hops my bun kicks the sawdust, not purposely but its how thy hop it flick up sawdust,if i cud use news paper wud it b safe, or wud it just air under the claws? also how often do u lot clean ur indppr buns out? i mean with out havin em smell

:wave: I line mine with newspaper, then put hay on top. Clean every other day. Food dishes are washed every day. Have you tried using pellets instead of a mix?

the dry mixes aren't very good for fussy buns, they don't get all the nutrients they need because they select feed. have you ever thought about pellets?

i line my bunny dog crate with newspaper, sawdust isn't too good for their lung. he has a litter tray with paper based litter in and i change it every two days and it never smells.

does your bun have access to unlimited hay also?

response

the dry mixes aren't very good for fussy buns, they don't get all the nutrients they need because they select feed. have you ever thought about pellets?

i line my bunny dog crate with newspaper, sawdust isn't too good for their lung. he has a litter tray with paper based litter in and i change it every two days and it never smells.

does your bun have access to unlimited hay also?

has hay but not loads of it

I line my indoor cage with a rubber exercise mat wrapped in a curtain :) she uses a litter tray which i empty and wash every day.

If your rabbit is fussy, the "mix" kind of food is probably not the best thing for him. Try a pellet food like excel where all the pellets are the same, then he can't just pick out the bits he likes and leave the rest. but hay is the most important things - it should make up the bulk of his diet, or he could end up with health problems.

Mine is totally disinterested in treats- although recently discovered he goes crazy over corriander! He likes pellets and has Allen & Page. In terms of the cage i don't line with anything. Have the vet bed which i cover with a puppy training pad- he likes walking on that cos it's soft and put a little bit of safe bedding in his house:)

Hi does anyone else appart from me have fussy rabbit, all mine eats is dry mi food, but only certain things in it and carrott a bit of apple and green cabbage. wont touch treats u can buy in stores, y that, is he just fussy? also wanted to know is it safe to line a cage with newspaper i use sawfust but cos its indoors it gets messy? when he hops my bun kicks the sawdust, not purposely but its how thy hop it flick up sawdust,if i cud use news paper wud it b safe, or wud it just air under the claws? also how often do u lot clean ur indppr buns out? i mean with out havin em smell

Is he litter trained? That makes things much easier. Mine are and they have their litter boox where they wee, which i line with newspaper with hay on top, this is changed every 2 days, with hay topped up in between. This is very quick. They just have old towels in the base and on their shelf, these get washed once a week, they stay clean but get covered in fur, carrot stains etc :D

I would also consider gradually converting him to pellets, and give him loads of tasty hay :D

my rabbit is super fussy!! she eats her pellets, and her hay. but wont eat any fruit or veg! i have tried everything!! she just wont eat it!! :shock: :? should i be worried??

xx

Tyler has a cage lined with carefresh and also his potty has that in aswell. I cahnge the potty every 1-2 days depending how much is in there and the whole cage is cleaned with hot soapy water and cage discinfectant once a week.

Tyler eats science selective pellets and a little russell rabbit , hay, apple, banana, parsley, broc, carrot, small part of crust from burnt toast, cabbage leaf, strawberry now and again, vitakraft banana muffin treats. Hes quite fussy although it doesnt sound it!!

my rabbit is super fussy!! she eats her pellets, and her hay. but wont eat any fruit or veg! i have tried everything!! she just wont eat it!! :shock: :? should i be worried??

xx

as long as she loves her hay i don't think you need to worry. have you tried bun on herbs like coriander? my bun much prefers herbs to veg.

Deej's cage has 2 litter trays, with newspaper under them to catch any leaks over the edges! The litter trays are filled with chopped cardboard bedding/litter -which is great for indoor bun's!

If/when your bunny is litter trained you don't have to have anything on the base if you don't want to - but everyone's buns are different and some like lying on plastic, some on carpet, some on a pet bed etc. there is no right or wrong, though sawdust and wood shavings are the least effective and safe litters.

paper based products tend to be more absorbent, keep in smells better, don't get kicked around as much and are less likely to cause allergies or respiratory problems. :D

We use rubber excersise mats too, yoga mats. Someone here suggested it! They sweep off easily and can be washed up with a sponge and hot soapy water. They dry quick too. Mine are litter trained also, and I change their box every day. Mine will poop outside of it if it is not clean. I use a littler made from recycled newspaper that comes in a pellet form. It is called Yesterday's News but i do not know if you have it in the UK. It is by Purina and is found in discount stores and supermarkets.

:wave: I line mine with newspaper, then put hay on top. Clean every other day. Food dishes are washed every day. Have you tried using pellets instead of a mix?

I do exactly the same and mine don't smell at all. The nugget foods are the best to buy as prevent selective feeding and also have better nutrion than museli type mixes.

No.... my bun wouldn;t touch any greens or treats before either, and suddenly one day (when he was 1 1/2) he grabbed a bit of basil and went crazy, so ever since i give him some herbs ebveryday.
I;d say that as long as your bun eats lots of hay, he should be fine., just try once in a while to tempt him with some greens, you never know!

Back