• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with my shed

redd1800

Warren Scout
Hey
Looking for advice with a few probs in my shed.

I've noticed a few flys - worried about flystrike and other probs. The runs are cleaned every night. Any tips on getting rid of them?

Any ideas about a second level? Its a wooden shed, the runs are sectioned of with C & C cubes but this doesn't make a strong enough level for my bunnies. Thinking about something wooden, shelves etc.

Have also been thinking about cleaning materials. So far I use hot water with a bit of vinegar. Don't want to use harsh chemicals if I can help it. The run has lino on the floor and the litter trays are plastic. A paint scraper and/or a wee puddle of clean water take away the stubborn marks.
Is the hot vater vinegar mix enough to take away any bacteria?
What does everybody else use?

I use lemon pet disinfectant from wilkinsons, its a disinfectant and deoderant and safe to spray on buns apparently!! Ive had a few flies hanging round last week when it weas unbearably hot but i take out wet patches daily and also daily check bunnies bun for any faeces.

Hello

Can't help with the flies bit other than getting some sort of bunny safe repellent. I use animal safe disinfectant and use white vinegar to stains.

i rear guarded mine (available from vets) and clean out daily, some people have used mozzi nets in past but i find them impractical for my bunnies lifestyle. check bums as often as you can, and clean up any pooh piles that may be left in garden/run. if rabbits will use a litter tray then it makes the whole process easier!

For a shelf just a bit of ply on brackets with a bit of rug,i only use white vinagar when cleaning and i have got a fly repellar from wilinsons for inside the playhouse hung up.

can't use those fly whatsits that hang down - the roof of the shed isn't terrible high, & I would end up walking into them. Any other ideas?

Might look into that pet friendly disenfectant. Its more for a deep clean every couple of weeks rather then a daily clean, again to cut down on chemicals. Their run is smaller then I'd like 2 & 1/2 foot by 5, so the less chemicals the better.

(They have access to the garden through a cat flap for a mimimun of 6 hours a day, and often for 14 hours, and the second level will add a couple of square foot, not ideal but planning to upgrade when we move late next year)

anybody got pics of their 2nd level?

thanks for all the info so far
:wave:

I would just keep doing what you doing by keeping the shed clean. Also check your bunny's bottoms and wipe off any poo that is stuck to their fur (there shouldnt be any there but some bun's may forget to eat there wet poo's!).

I personally wouldn't use the electronic things you can hang to get rid of flies simply because they buz a lot and may drive your bunny mad (they have sensitive hearing).

If you do not mind killing flies then you could get one of those hand held electronic zappers to try and kil them whenver you see them (you can emply yourself as a new pest controller).

There are also some plants (probably not suitable for you bunny to eat though) that are natural fly repellents (do an internet search). You could put these near the shed out the reach of the rabbits.

I've a couple of pics of the inside of my giants shed....you can probably see that they have gradual shelves that they jump up to get upto their bed at the top....they absolutely love being up high:D

With the fly problem I think prevention is better than cure.
Luckily my rabbits are really good at using their litter boxes (of which they have 3 - 2 in the shed and one in the run) and they never wee anywhere else, so I only need to clean their litter boxes daily, then a full clean out every 3-4 days. I only use plain water to wash out their litter boxes as I like to avoid unnecessary chemicals.

2003_0113Image0004.jpg

2003_0115Image0069.jpg

I actually only use a dusinfectant spray occasionally. During summer months i clean out every couple of days and take away all the newspaper and hay etc... and keep hay to eating only and not lining the hutch aswell... Straw is used for that...
I also use an old wallpaper stripper to get any debris from the corners of the hutch (gets into the nooks and crannys) and also to scrape up any squidgy poos i may find...
Smokey and the Bandit refuse to be housetrained so i have to keep an eye on them...
Another thing if you do have a shed then spiders are a great way of keeping the fly population down... :D

Love that pic of the shelving levels, bbmummy, thats a great idea!!! Thanks.
Also that wallpaper stripper should come in handy

Anyone know the names of those plants that scare the flys off? Got some high up shelves out of bunnies reach, so out of temptation.

Spiders are a good idea too - cept they terrify me. I've had geckos (lizards) for 4 years, main diet is live crickets which i keep in 2 sealed boxes in the wardrobe (lots teeny air holes). One landed on my arm a few days ago. Did some manic running around and stripping off and hair brushing and checking it was gone. Totally irrational cos they are harmless, but they really freak me out. Other half thought it was extremely funny :evil:

Back