• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm fed up! =[

Kenno

Warren Scout
Trying to syringe Tomee his baytril and I've managed to get 0.3ml into him! The other 0.3ml is in my hair, on my clothes and on Tomee! I'm covered in claw marks and there's a rip in my jeans!

There has to be an easier option right? :(

I had a bunny who wouldnt let me near her mouth....I used to hollow out the middle of a carrot and put it in there.

I've tried it on all his favourite foods, wouldn't touch it.

The problem with putting it on his food, if he doesn't take it out my hand I can't just put it in the food bowl because he lives with another bunny and I can't risk her eating it.

it is difficult as Baytril smells nasty(smell it):( and apparently tastes bitter to rabbits:(.
I have heard that some rabbits will take it mixed in various foods like mashed banana but our rabbit was having none of that.
Try to hold her firmly - maybe wrapped in a towel and try to put the syringe into the side of her mouth and squirt it in, in about 3 or 4 little goes giving her time to swallow in between goes. I finally got the knack of finding a little gap in her teeth where I could put the syringe in.
Some have had success with putting a drop or two of neat Ribena into the syringe with the Baytril to sweeten it (it does go a funny purple colour but our vet said that was ok)and mask the bitter taste of the Baytril.
Or maybe you could rub the flavour of a treat around the outside of the tip of the syringe to disguise the taste?

Sometimes it's just a question of trying to find something your particular rabbit will take to.

I'm sure there will be others on here with ideas soon.- (If not pm Jack's Jane - she has a lot of experience with giving medication to rabbits)-good luck and hope your rabbit Tomee gets better soon - Sue:wave:

I found this advice in the threads from Jack's Jane-(I hope she doesn't mind?)

Towel wrapping a Bun in order to administer meds is a good idea. The Bun feels secure. If you give the Baytril by syringe, which IMO is best as it insures the full dose is taken, then try dipping the tip of the syringe in some Honey or Jam to disguise the taste/smell. If you insure your Buns eyes are covered by the towel too, so just her nose and mouth are showing, she wont see the syringe approaching so will be less likely to struggle. Administer the syringe horizontally across her mouth, going in from the corner of her mouth. If you administer the syringe pointing straight down her throat she may aspirate the Baytril.
Some people do administer meds in food, such as a piece of Banana or a grape. But I prefer to use the syringe method.
Another way of disguising the taste of Baytril is to mix it with a tiny bit of Blackcurrant Juice.

Last edited:
I used to make pellet porridge and when it was cool mix in the baytril, or you could squirt it on a tiny piece of bread, or mix it with apple babyfood, or a drop of ribena - I have tried it on cabbage but if they drag it around it gets wiped off on the floor, so it's not ideal - plus wait till they're hungry first thing in the morning - they're not so fussy then :)

:wave: I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM, I ADDED A DROP OF RIBENA, I ALSO TRIED IT ON A BIT OF WEETABIX.PLUS I TRIED THE TOWEL METHOD, IT TOOK TWO OF US TO HOLD BILLY HE WAS SO GENTLE USUALLY, BUT HATED TAKING HIS MEDICINE. HE,D ONLY GOT TO SEE ME WITH THE SYRINGE, AND HE,D BE GONE:oops:IM SURE THERE WILL BE SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE WITH OTHER GOOD IDEAS, BEST WISHES.

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions! :D

I think I'll try and give the ribena one a whirl this morning! That seems to be quite popular.

The problem is getting the stuff into him, he's fine being restrained and he's fine with the syringe its just that when that stuff reaches his mouth he goes crazy!

Good Luck!

We are on our last day of Panacur with Herbie, thank goodness. He ridiculed our attempts to hide it in food :( He has such a tiny face under all of his fur I find it really difficult to restrain his head without thinking I am hurting him :(

Jane's idea of covering the eyes is a good one so will give that a go later.

It's horrible isn't it when they're really struggling to get away but it's for they're own good in the end!

I had success with the ribena, it was still a fight but it went down better than just the baytril on it's own. But now he runs away from me when he sees me! :(

Back