• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor rabbit

sa28

Young Bun
hi guys ive got three problems ive brought a rabbit he his 12weeks old he his an indoor rabbit so what i do in fence of the hall way so he can stretch his legs etc he his like this all the time but he his now eating wall paper eating the carpet and trying to pull it up and also he his jumping on top of his hutch please help me ro reslove these things thanks

i havent found a way to stop it.... alvin is almost a year and he has calmed down loads.. i think its a baby thing and no matter what is done they just do it..

can you cover the wall with something or fence it off when your not there to watch? i put an additional layer of carpet down where the cage is so they dont ruin the main carpet, it only cost £5 as it was a wasted bit in a carpet shop..

try not to get downhearted tho, for all the destruction having a house bunny really is the most amazing thing ive found yet (even with my bare walls)

oh and when your bun is old enough and netured a pal will take away a lot of boredom and destruction should be less if you can get a 2nd bunny :) if not toys toys toys and lots of human attention should help

im not sure as i waited to get alvin done first before getting him bonded with a girl... i guess if its another boy it might be ok if they get thier bits chopped off before they start to get territorial..obviously unless you want babies a girl wouldnt be a good idea yet ;)

a bloke i work with has two female bunnies at 10 weeks old from seperate litters and they are very happy :)

:wave: Hi You could get an older bunny from a rescue centre. That might calm your bunny down. They are less bored with a friend, and they like to play with screwed up paper, toilet roll tubes and cardboard boxes too.

A rescue bunny will be neutered too which will save you some money. :)

it might be worth spending some intense training time with him. when he goes for wallpaper or carpet, clap your hands and shout "NO!" in a low stern voice, or stamp you feet as you shout. if he stops the naughtiness, reward with a pellet and keep doing this so he learns good behaviour gets rewards. or happen to be doing something more interesting elsewhere that he will want to join in with, you with a cardboard box, etc. reward him for coming away from what he shouldn't be doing.

i think all babies are naughty and i know how frustrating it can be, there's been times where i cried and cried when there was pee on the sofa! but training and consistency will help you x

As the others have said give him plenty of toys as distractions and reward him for playing with the toys instead of destroying your house. Anything will do as a toy, cardboard boxes, old telephone directories, baby rattles, sticks, loo rolls, pine cones, grass mats, a big box full of shredded paper,hay or soil is a good idea to dig in as well.
It's also worth getting some cheap carpet tiles to protect the carpet when he's out and about, and perhaps carboard to protect the walls. As for jumping on top of the hutch, either make it safe for him to do that, or try and block off access so he can't jump up on top.

His destructive behaviour will calm down with neutering and also with age. Teenage bunnies are hell-raisers, and your little man has just hit puberty.:rolleyes:

Good luck with it, I'm sure you will have plenty of fun.

House rabbits are a terror when they are babies!! Mine calmed down when he reached about 4/5 months. So like said above, they do improve with age.
He chewed anything and everything so be careful when around wires. Try getting him chew toys and wood. Just keep an eye on it and if you want to discipline just spray a bit of water. I have been told that works but never got to use it myself.

Back