• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad reaction to anaethetic, what do i do

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
I sent a bunny in to be castrated yesterday, after they put him under GA he had a funny turn and they had to wake him up quick for fear of losing him:cry:
im now very anxious about them castrating him incase he dies :cry::cry:
The vets said leave it a week and then book him in again, The thing is he has a home waiting with a girlie bun but he has to be castrated first. What should i do
should i rehome him to someone as a single bunny so he doesnt have to be neautered or should i do what my vets have said and book him in in a week
any advice appreciated :D:D

VanessaB on here had one of her doe's react funny under a GA when ging to be speyed so outr vet brought her back round and then a couple of weeks later she sailed through it with no problems.

Sorry Caroline, he had a reaction. Did the vet think it would be advisable to try again and did he know why it happened.

I sent a bunny in to be castrated yesterday, after they put him under GA he had a funny turn and they had to wake him up quick for fear of losing him:cry:
im now very anxious about them castrating him incase he dies :cry::cry:
The vets said leave it a week and then book him in again, The thing is he has a home waiting with a girlie bun but he has to be castrated first. What should i do
should i rehome him to someone as a single bunny so he doesnt have to be neautered or should i do what my vets have said and book him in in a week
any advice appreciated :D:D

I would advise waiting much longer than a week before trying again and in the meantime I'd get a full blood profile and *conscious* chest X-ray done. This would at least give some indication of his major organ function.

Also, he may actually have an intolerence of the specific GA drugs used so a different GA protocol might be a good idea.

Janex

VanessaB on here had one of her doe's react funny under a GA when ging to be speyed so outr vet brought her back round and then a couple of weeks later she sailed through it with no problems.

You beat me to it Kay :lol:

Our little Holly reacted badly first time round but Caroline, the vet was happy to try again, as Holly came round immediately from the anaesthetic with no problems. I was concerned as Holly is so much smaller than her sister.

Holly was fine at the second attempt five weeks later - using the same anaesthetic - sorry not sure which one. Obviously I was worried and if Holly had reacted in the same way we would not have tried again. It was a bit of a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario.

As Jane has said I would leave it longer than a week.
Good luck,
Vanessa xx

I know this may sound a bit odd on this forum . . but does he have to be castrated?

One of my males (Parsley) has a slow heartbeat and so we decided not to have him castrated. (especially as we had already lost a little one under GA this year to an undiagnosed heart defect). Parsley is partnered with a neutered girl and is fine with her. He occassional humps but she just ignores him. We are lucky in that he has a lovely gentle nature, never sprays, never nips and is just - well - Parsley.

Why not wait and see if your develops any of the more difficult male behaviour patterns - and if he doesn't then don't bother. But of course make sure his partner is neutered.

Back