• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney failure

tracey_p

Young Bun
My 14 month old lion head cross Callie has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. She has had 3 bouts of guts stasis in the last 3 months and thought it was down to a hairball. The vet decided to run a blood and urine test. At the moment she is on Metoclopramide injections,Prepulsid tablets and fluids via subcutaneous injections. She has started to eat by herself now and is slowly getting back to her normal self. I am waiting to hear form the vet once she has spoken to a rabbit vet.
Does anyone have any experience with this in rabbits and treatment regimes? Does anyone have rabbits with kidney failure?
I would be grateful for any info,
Thanks,
Tracey

PS - after I posted above I saw another thread on e-cuniculi - This is a major cause of kidney damage in rabbits, so I would say she should also (as well as the diuretic mentioned above) have a 6 week course of panacur wormer, which will stop the parasite doing further damage if that's what's happened, and won't do any harm if it's nothing to do with a parasite either. Any other rabbits that run in the same area as the affected one need treating too - and it is a 6 week course although a lot of vets don't know that - no harm in it it's just a bit of a pain to administer daily for 6 weeks.

Back