• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bertie's poops full of fur

karen354

Warren Veteran
Now I don't want you all to think I go round breaking the buns poops up :lol:couldn't help noticing though that Bert's poo's seems full of fur :shock: he's a good husbun and grooms his wife all the time is there anything I can give him? Pineapple ?

glad you posted this as snowys gets like this she is moulting at the moment, and also licks dora and anything else she can, i was thinking about fresh pinapple for her too? can you give them a piece of the fruit or is it only the juice?

I give mine a piece of fresh pineapple now and again.I also give them the pineapple and papyaya tablets.

fur

If you go to the trouble of crumbling any healthy rabbits pebbles up in your fingers you will find fur loosly holding them together.

Rabbits have no mechanism to be sick so what goes in one end , comes out the other.

Now then if your rabbit is on the correct high, high, high fibre diet all the fur gets pushed and taken through by very large quantities of fibre and as a rule no problems are encountered and this is normal.

I know pineapple amongst other things has an enzyme in it that can sometines help in gut stasis problems but as far as I am aware this does not help in the breakdown of the fur.I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Any doubt as to wether your rabbit is normal fit and healthy with good teeth and on the right diet and you should seek good veterinary advice before you change his diet in any way.

hope this helps

alan

If you go to the trouble of crumbling any healthy rabbits pebbles up in your fingers you will find fur loosly holding them together.

Rabbits have no mechanism to be sick so what goes in one end , comes out the other.

Now then if your rabbit is on the correct high, high, high fibre diet all the fur gets pushed and taken through by very large quantities of fibre and as a rule no problems are encountered and this is normal.

I know pineapple amongst other things has an enzyme in it that can sometines help in gut stasis problems but as far as I am aware this does not help in the breakdown of the fur.I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Any doubt as to wether your rabbit is normal fit and healthy with good teeth and on the right diet and you should seek good veterinary advice before you change his diet in any way.

hope this helps

alan

thankyou i hope this also helped the original postee, my buns are on high fibre diets and are otherwise healthy teeth are fine etc, however i was concerned by this nb i also do not generally study my bunnys poo

I give my buns pineapple juice once a week (they will not eat a piece). I give them about 20ml each. The enzyme in it is supposed to help breakdown the hair but nothing has been proven I believe.

They love it anyway!

I try to give them a good brush during the moult each day and encourage them to drink more water. Try a dash of boiling water in to make it luke warm, mine love it.

I do check my buns poops for hair :oops::oops: and if find more than normal step up on the warm water!!

i give more hay and if they turn string of pearls a lot or size decreases i give a tube of fibreplex as directed on box.
i used to give the oxbow tablets but my buns gained soooo much weight on them for 2 months of excessive moult:shock:

Bromelain is supposed to break down mucous which is suspected to hold trichobezoars together but there is no proof this is the case.

Fur passing through a rabbit is perfectly normal, its when it stops passing you need to worry, and that is secondary to GI stasis.

yup i agree.....i use extra hay less food and wet greens plus fibreplex much more efficient and healthy.
but sadly it too often has progressed to early stasis before its noticeable even with ahouse bun cos bertie likes to do hepas morning and overnite.during the day etc poo productionis down markedly mainly cos hes sleeping. sometimes thats all the time it takes:(

doesnt bunnypoo crubmle lovely under unsuspecting unslippered feet after a shower or is it just my house:lol: then you can see exactly what fur contents in the poo..i think its weird when they do a poo and it elongates a little and has a furry bushy tial at the end:shock::lol: but theyre fine..just the odd extra furry poo!! better out than in!

cant believe the old treatment was liquid paraffin at the sign of hard furry poos:shock:

I give mine papaya cubes "One cube as a daily treat and digestion aid" and 100% Pineapple juice once a month.

yes i heard that a piece of pineapple is good for them during moulting time as it prevents stasis, which can be caused by fur balls...
I try to get the hair off my bun with a damp hand, and give him a tiny bit of pineapple now and again.

Back