• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will my 2 bunnies live together again?

Deevee

Young Bun
Please can I have your advice!
I have 2 female rabbits Poppy & Tulip (1 year and 3 months old) that are from the same litter and were spayed last November. They are house rabbits and before the operation they got on fine. In the last few months they have had a few brawls when let out of their pen, but nothing serious. Then last week they had a huge fight whilst in their pen. Poppy ended up having stitches as she has a nasty cut near her back leg. Both had a number of scratches. Poppy was the one in charge and Tulip was the shy one of the two. For the last week they have been in seperate pens next to each other,whilst Poppy's wound mends (She has a collar on also-bless her heart). At exercise time (still seperated) i have noticed Tulip is always ready to attack poppy through the barrier, but Poppy seems quite calm. When I have put them both together on neutral ground, Tulip lets Poppy clean her, but she doesn't respond in anyway, she just sits there. Poppy has tried to mount her also and she then moves away, but their is no agression. It breaks my heart that they have fallen out like this and from reading the posts, I can see I am not alone with this problem.
Do you think it is likely they will have to stay seperated or is it early days yet. Could it be the age they are at and the amount of time it has been after the operation that they are having these problems or could it be the time of year?

When I have put them both together on neutral ground, Tulip lets Poppy clean her, but she doesn't respond in anyway, she just sits there. Poppy has tried to mount her also and she then moves away, but their is no agression.

TBH this sounds promising to me & I would think they can be rebonded:D

I really hope they do bond again. The problem is I am away on holiday end of May, so don't know whether to start the bonding before i go away, but then it will mean a week where the bonding sessions will stop. They will be in seperate pens next too each other still why I am away, but I can't ask my mum to continue the bonding sessions as she would be too scared to.

A few girls seem to be falling out at the moment, I think it's the "spring thing" going on - but I agree with Angie, what you have described sounds promising. If you can put some time aside to spend with them find some neutral territory and try leaving them together for a while.

Back