• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weeing on self U/D after vet trip

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
The rabbit, not me ;)

Every time I turn poppy over to put cream on her hocks, she seems to be soaked with wee all up her right leg and where her leg joins her tummy. This can't be good surely? My other buns are dry and fluffy underneath. What is it a symptom of?

Last edited:
is Poppy making puddles anywhere? carlton just had cystitis and his legs were wet for the first couple of days. sounds like a UTI, but i'm not an expert!

yes but she always does...she's outdoors and just piddles where she likes :lol:

she's off to vets soon for VHD anyway but I though I'd do a bit of research first, I've had a feeling she's been a bit "off" for a while now. :?

My foster bun Bouncer suffered this after his neuter. He was treated a couple of times with an infection,xrayed for bladder stones, but later blood tests showed he was EC positive. He was treated with 6 weeks panacur, but unfortunately died just before Xmas. All my other buns were treated with 6 weeks Panacur.

Your bun is at risk of urine scald, so I'd clean her & sudocrem the wet bits & get to vets for antibiotics - if they don't fix her, maybe request blood tests.

yes but she always does...she's outdoors and just piddles where she likes :lol:

she's off to vets soon for VHD anyway but I though I'd do a bit of research first, I've had a feeling she's been a bit "off" for a while now. :?

:lol: outdoors is one big toilet! carlton is litter trained but he was literally puddling when he exerted himself running, pooping, jumping, etc. his water intake had doubled aswell. he had yarrow and dandelions and it cleared it up a treat in 3 days. hope she's okay. :wave:

It can be a sign of EC as it destroys the bladder muscles. It can also just be associated with older buns. I'd recommend treating for EC but also get your vet to clip the fur that is soiled - this should help.

Helen

UTI is most common too...
bandit was doing this and he got so bad all his torusers and even feet were dripping wee andhe kept peeing on the floor and sitting in it...

rob tested him and checked him over..nothing physical..hes a nervous little fella ..not badly treated but a resuce bun with two failed homes behind him...when bonded with the frenchies he wasnt too bad odd puddle but once bif had unbonded from the group he got worse..it turned into scald...and the vet said he was obviously having problems being a free range bun and splitting up with bif....
the frenchies took care of him but he got scared when they hada tiff...when any noise etc was made..he hid under my pine unit and in the cat scratch post:(
the wee was dripping off him..but after a week or two in a cage with constant bathing drying creaming powdering etc he began to improve..and is sooo much better but even tho he is fine helath wise it always smells of fish in the end cos he sits in it...
he was doing wonderful even being out with bif to exercise but hes so excitable like apuppy he wees drips n drops and los of wee and wees in the trays...hes like a nervous puppy!

i hopeits just abehavioural problem for her too...

good luck
x

don't worry too much, we always fear the worst! how old is poppy? i'd defo get to the vets asap, just to be on the safe side x

about four i think. her previous owners werent sure :roll:

I've thought something was a bit off with her for months but could never put my finger on it - for example she was perfectly litter trained for three years then totally lost it a few months ago. :? she's lost weight too. Ive had these things checked by vets before but they couldnt find anything wrong - have another go on tuesday though. *crosses fingers*

about four i think. her previous owners werent sure :roll:

I've thought something was a bit off with her for months but could never put my finger on it - for example she was perfectly litter trained for three years then totally lost it a few months ago. :? she's lost weight too. Ive had these things checked by vets before but they couldnt find anything wrong - have another go on tuesday though. *crosses fingers*

my little monster has lost weight too, to me he feels boney around the pelvis. the vet said he'd lost weight but it's not concerning him yet, they would prefer buns to be a lean than podgy! poor little lamb, hope everything goes okay on tuesday x

look, I can see her vertebrae: :(

poppyskinny005-1.jpg

a bit of weight loss I was ok with cos she was a touch chubby when she came to me, but this much is daft. thanks for vibes :)

I would guess at UTI as well...she's showing the classic symptoms (incontinence and weight loss).

I have recently discovered that some UTIs are incredibly resistant to antibiotics, and will recur pretty much as soon as treatment is stopped...even if bladder sludge isn't the cause

Incontinance and weightloss are also indicative of liver problems as well as UTI's and liver issues are often a symptom of EC.....although this usually displays with excessive drinking and urination too, in the more advanced stages.

My personal preference would be to have Poppy on both a course of Baytril and Panacur (6 weeks). Her partner should also be Panacured for the duration too.

i'm not sure she is incontinent as such as she's retained her litter training indoors, its only outdoors she messes everywhere. *heavy sigh* rabbits, ey!

Back