• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A lump

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Last night I was stroking Emrys and felt a pea sized, hard lump on his side just above the elbow. The surface feels slightly rough too. Anyway I clipped away his fur for a better look and the top of the lump is slightly scabby. Could it be a bite? Also while I was touching it he was very good and snoozed off but when I released him, he turned on me and savaged my hand. He is not an agressive rabbit, he's normally very affectionate so I'm shocked as to why he did that.

He has exchanged a few nips with his wifey, could it be a bite abcess? I've never had a bunnie with a lump of any kind before, so I have no experience at all. I'm been thinking about tumours etc too. I have him booked for the vet but am still worried. His behaviour and eating is all normal though.

Hiya!
I found two of the like little spikey bunps the size of a pea on alfie and was really worried.I took him to the vets and he hsaid they were bites..id not seen him fight with bobby and they get on great,???prob had a scuffle in the night over come cabbage! he he, the vet pulled off the scab (alfie didnt like it) to check if it wasnt infected and the vet told me he would be fine!
i bathed them in salt water for a few days and then the fell off a few weeks later!
Could be little nips but watch out they dont get infected or become an abcess, although the large abcesses iv seen have been much worse than alfies little nips
Hope Emrys ok!

Thanks for your advice. I really hope it is just the result of a squabble between bunnies. I've had rabbits fight before and they've had scabs but never a lump under the skin.

It sounds quite like a bite scab to me too. Or perhaps an insect sting if it is more 'lump' like?

Its like a ball of skin with a film of scab on the top. The lump does move, it doesn't seem to be rooted to the tissue underneath and the wee man isn't even a year old yet so I'm, hoping that is all it is.

mine felt like a hard pea lump, with a rough spikey surface?
The vet will be able to tell u though, i wouldnt worry, i think an abcess is a large raised wide lump?

Back