• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BRC rings

these do have to be cut off - very carefully! my hubby managed to cut one off my mini-lop Bambi with sharp wire cutters - she had to be held very still tho! its very easy to cut a buns skin as it is very thin. if you have a wriggler, its probably a good idea to ask a vet. x

I'll ask the vet when I take the P@H bun tomorrow. I don't fancy trying myself as she is a giant breed and has bad back legs with mobility problems. The ring is nice and loose at the moment and doesn't seem to be causing her any problems. I just want to get rid of it as it reminds me of her horrid past.

Tin snips will cut it easily. You'll need to cut it off in 2 halves, so should take 4 cuts, 1 top one bottom on both sides. Just be careful as you cut that the other side doesn't move and start to dig in. Maybe wrap her in a towel whilst doing it so she can't kick out. Some breeds you can just wet the foot and the ring will slide right off. Its a 2 person job although I have done it on my own before.

I sold a few of my retired buns as pets the other week, so my while I held the rabbit my OH cut the ring off - took approx 2mins per bun -easy peasy.

The rings are to identify the rabbit so that it can be registered for showing, the alternative is to tattoo int he ears like they do on the continent - I think rings are a bit more humane, but higher maintence. Swings and roundabouts I guess...

Back