• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit dental follow on thread - is it worth buying one of those things

racheld69

Mama Doe
..for looking at back teeth? the things vets use - so you can keep an eye on your bunny's teeth? if so are they very expensive? i think i remember sooz or someone last year talking about getting one for her rescue so she might know?

I reckon they'd be really useful for checking that there was no irritation of the tongue or fleshy part of the mouth.

I'd love one, but don't have the cash unfortunately :(

I reckon they'd be really useful for checking that there was no irritation of the tongue or fleshy part of the mouth.

I'd love one, but don't have the cash unfortunately :(

that is what i was thinking. i will be worrying non stop that they need doing and Foxglove is in pain or discomfort and will prob end up going to the vets every week so they can just check - at £20 a pop!:shock:

They are really useful, you can get a cheap one for about £50 BUT you need a vet to train you how to use it so you know exactly what you are looking at, else it wont be much use to you at all.

I still stick my little finger into the mouth and run it along the molars too though, just to pick up any sharp edges that I may not be able to see. Rabbits are not the most co-operative patients :roll:

Thanks Sooooz- did you get one on ebay like Doncat5 bought or from somewhere else? (I can't see the ebay one anymore when you click on the link so not sure what it is like). One of the catsies has an ear infection at the moment too so thought it would be useful for that type of occurence as well.

I managed to get one off ebay for £17.99 plus postage. However it is only plastic and the bunnies do chew it. The metal ones do seem really expensive unfortunately

I have one of these from my nursing days. I have a decent stethoscope and opthalmoscope too. I also use urinalysis strips so I can monitor everything. Its freaky but as an ex vet nurse its habit.

My bunnies always think "oh no" becuase when I do a daily healthcheck, I do a full healthcheck. I would definatly reccomend the otoscope or auroscope if you have a lop or bunnie prone to teeth problems.

I bought 2, a vet one will long attachments (for ears and teeth) and another with short attachments for my childrens ears (recurrent ear infections, grommets etc). Cost around £30 for both and no problems at all.... Iif your not using it all the time I wouldnt buy a really expensive one, and shop around and watch a few on ebay first. :)

I bought 2, a vet one will long attachments (for ears and teeth) and another with short attachments for my childrens ears (recurrent ear infections, grommets etc). Cost around £30 for both and no problems at all.... Iif your not using it all the time I wouldnt buy a really expensive one, and shop around and watch a few on ebay first. :)

Thanks - what do you search for on ebay?

Back