• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dentals...

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hiya

I just wondered, for people whose buns have to have dentals, how many of them are for burring the back teeth and how often do they have to have it done? Bertie is in again today having his back teeth burred after only 9 weeks. I feel really mean putting him through it but his mouth is so sore. The vet says it's genetic as his diet is excellent, Bertie really loves his hay and eats loads of it...my poor little man, vibes for him please...:cry:

Hi :wave:

Poor Bertie :cry: I'm afraid I can't really help as Dillon has incisor problems not problems with his back teeth but I'm sure people will be along soon to help. I've heard of people go as often as every 4 weeks :shock:

Lian x

Hi :wave:

It depends on the bunny! One of mine only goes every four months to have spurs on his molars removed, one every six months and Thumper has to be checked every six weeks but we don't do him until we have to. I never leave it so that he is in any pain or has any difficulty eating, just when the vet says it's time. He has a terrible mouth and has had some molars removed but never shown outward signs of having problems so I have to rely on the vet looking. At the moment he has been going 10-11 weeks between dentals but that can change because he has some other loose teeth.

My bridge bunny Charlie had a broken jaw that was offset and had to go every four to five weeks. She could manage any longer because she was in pain and her teeth grew like little pins. :cry:

My new baby bunny is looking like she is going to need dentals both front and back so would be interested to see how often the average is for the back teeth too.

One of my buns has just started having molar problems at about 5 years old! :shock:

The interval between her last dentals was only 8 weeks :(

Zippy has hers done either every 4/6/8 depending on when they need doing, she's only got three teeth now though.

Im very lucky that my most frequent is about every 5-6 months, however I suspect Mackenzie's will be more frequent than that....at least for the first few months whilst we try to improve his occlusion.

I take it in all cases for back teeth they are done under general anaesthetic?

The rabbit mentioned in my post above, has always been done under GA...my other dental bun has his done conscious.

I would personally choose to have it done conscious if possible, simply because it's safer than risking the rabbit dying under GA. Severe dental problems like SOAD's Zippy has can't usually be done conscious though.

Awwwwwwwwww Loads of vibes for Bertie, let us know how he gets on today:bunny: and snuggles for Daisy too xxxxx:wave:

Thanks so much for all of your replies.... Bertie is 2 and has only had problems this year really. He didn't even really show any symptoms as such, just that I thought he was eating his pellets differently so I took him to the vet and it turned out that his poor little tongue was ulcerated both sides because of the spurs. As I said, it's been 9 weeks since his last dental and it has been done under GA both times which is what worries me. Although from all of your replies it seems like it's quite a common thing. It's just that last time I took him the vet I saw started saying that if it needed doing too often then we would have to look at "whether it's fair"... Whilst Bertie is happy and eating etc I will keep letting him have treatment.. Thanks Ali, I will email you soon. xxx

I do worry about the GA too, especailly as sorrel had a bad reaction to it last time :( there is another topic on the forum somewhere about whether it's legit to do them without a GA - opinions varied.

It cost me about £80 ish last time and I guess will be the same tonight. Pet Plan covered the last one because my vet kindly put on the claim form about the ulcers on Bertie's tongue but when they sent me the cheque they said that they wouldn't cover any dental treatment in future so from now on it's coming out of my pocket :shock: he's worth it though!

My bun has just had his done this morning (molars). My vet does conscious dentals and they are every 4-5 weeks at the most, it has been as little as 2 weeks.

Although a conscious dental may not be as "thorough" as one with a GA is does allow him to come home immediately and start eating without the worry whether he will recover from a GA. He had a GA to do a more thorough dental before Christmas and was told he would probably need one in another 6 months. I know there are also risks with conscious but you have to weigh it up.

It would be worth doing some research to find out if there are any vets in your area who will do a conscious dental if your bunny need them quite frequent.

Back