• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC, Ear Infections & vets in Birmingham

thumpersmum

Warren Scout
Sorry if this is a long post

Following yesterdays thread about the rabbit with head tilt I need advice on what to do with thumper

He had head tilt in Feb 2007 when about he was 4 months old with barrel rolling and not able to move properly. The vet we took him to I don't think were that up on rabbits but did mention EC and ear infections. He gave Thumper antibiotics and panacur. But the panacur was only given for 7-10 days not the six weeks I read about on here.

We have since bonded him with Ruby and both seem fine although Thumper has got some sight issues following the head tilt episode. We have been giving both buns panacur every sixth months since then but will this be enough if Thumper didn't get the full 6 weeks last year? Should we give him 6 six weeks worth now?

We have since changed to a different vet, but I'm still not happy they are really rabbbit Savvy. Does anyone have a vet recommendation for South Birmingham?

Any advice?

I would think that Thumpers torticollis cleared up due to the antibiotics in that event and not the Panacur and whilst that does not mean he is not an EC carrier its likely that EC was not responsible for his headtilt....but an IEI was.

What issues is he having now?
How long are their 6 monthly worming courses?

Thanks Sooz

Thumper still has a very slight head tilt to the right but nowhere near as bad as it was. The vet has said he can see something in his right eye, (Sorry I cant remember what the vet said it was) but he thought it might have been caused by EC? It also seems appears he doesn't see properly if anything is on his right side, With ruby, she gets skittish when anything approaches her, Thumper is the same if it is ahead or on his left, but doesn't have the same response if it is to the right. Does that make sense?

We give them both 9 days worth every 6 months.

A cataract? Like a white spot?

If that the case then I would worm them BOTH with a 6 week course and start it asap. The liquid will work out much cheaper for two rabbit over that time period. Its the 10% solution for cats & dogs, dose rate 0.2ml per kg of rabbit.

Yes a white spot, definately not a cataract, i'd remember that one.

I'll order the Panacur and get them both on it as soon as it arrives.

Is there a test that would confirm EC, it it worth getting it done?

Yes a white spot, definately not a cataract, i'd remember that one.
?

That is a cataract. Yes you can have a titre test done but it test antibodies not spores and its costly because by its nature a titre will need repeating approx. 3 times if it shows exposure.

Remember 50% test positive for exposure but that does not mean the infection is active.

Far better, in terms of playing it safe, and finances, to treat anyway. Panacur is a very safe drug to use.

I can recomend 608 vet in Bentley Heath. Deborah there is very good. They also have an emergency vet in Solihull.

Thanks every one.

Sooz I was going to go with the Panacur anyway so I've got that ordered that and I'll do both of them when I get it. Do I need to be concerned about the eye? Should I follow it up with the vet as nothing is being done about it?

I'm in Northfield/Longbridge, but I'll travel to ensure I can get the best treatment. I'm going to show my ignorance now though, Where's Bentley heath? I really apapreciate your help

Lynne

Lynne

I live in Rubery and use Acorn Vets in Alvechurch, so about 15 mins away from you.
Acorn in Studley treat all of our rabbits at Hopper Haven, and the one in Alvechurch is just as good.
I've recommended a few desperate cases to them with a good outcome.

If you are going to use them book an appointment for when Christine is on - she's the best rabbit savvy one ther:D

Yes! Although I have to work Sundays and can't make it:(
Are you going along? Donna (Donnamnt) is going.

Yes, so I was hoping I might get to meet some other RU people. I'll have to try and find Donna. We'll be easy to spot, I'll have the children with me.........Triplets!!!!! :D:rolleyes:

Triplets...wow!
I'm really peeved I can't go, but I've been there today cleaning, baking cakes tomorrow and going back Saturday to get the place ready along with the other volunteers.
It looks like the weather will hold so hopefully it will be a good day.
I'm really hoping that we can raise some much needed funds - Lou now has 179 rabbits and 89 piggies!
Hope you have a fun time:D

Yes, so I was hoping I might get to meet some other RU people. I'll have to try and find Donna. We'll be easy to spot, I'll have the children with me.........Triplets!!!!! :D:rolleyes:

ill have an old woman in tow.. talked my mother into coming :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks every one.

Sooz I was going to go with the Panacur anyway so I've got that ordered that and I'll do both of them when I get it. Do I need to be concerned about the eye? Should I follow it up with the vet as nothing is being done about it?

I'm in Northfield/Longbridge, but I'll travel to ensure I can get the best treatment. I'm going to show my ignorance now though, Where's Bentley heath? I really apapreciate your help

Lynne

Near Solihull.....a bit out of your way :D I too would like to go to Hopper haven but we hired a roatavator this weekend at vast expense so I don't think the OH would be very happy if I vanished for half a day.

Well I currently go to Shirley so Solihull wouldn't be too bad if I needed it. I'll bear it in mind but alvechurch is closer so I'll try that one.

I too would like to go to Hopper haven but we hired a roatavator this weekend at vast expense so I don't think the OH would be very happy if I vanished for half a day.

That's a shame. Is that so you can make more room for more buns?:):):):)

Thanks for the help everyone and anyone at Hopper Haven Sunday, we'll see you there.

Back