• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much pellets?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I know - hay is best, but Smudge just nibbles at that and doesn't eat much of it - was weaned onto Russel Rabbit but selective ate so the vet said move onto the Suparabbit complete pellets. So I did but Smudge would, I'm sure eat the whole packet! I've been giving a small handful in the morning and a small one at night with hay ALWAYS available and a nibble or two or dandelion leaves. It's just I read a book that says until they are 7 months you can give unlimited amounts of these pellets and it didn't seem right?

I just give my buns a handful each morning and night but I am sure you'll get into a routine and get to know how much is appropriate. If you have food left over in a morning you know to reduce it a bit. Bunnies only eat when they are hungry - they are not like us!

I give my 2 buns a small handful morning and night. Along with veg in the morning, the rest of the day they have hay. Mine eat the pellets within minutes but I don't give them more, after that it's hay or nothing until the evening.
I did find that mine wouldn't eat the hay I got from the petshop but once I started them on hay from dustfreehay.com they gobble it up :D

how old is smudge, when willow was under 6 months i gave him a full bowl of pellets each day but he was still a good hay muncher.

you could try a few different types of hay to see which one smudge likes best.

if you go on www.thehayexperts.com they have a taster pack of hay so you can try out different types

I give my bun a small hand full when I get her out in the morning...she has hay all the time but does not seem to eat much! I give her another small handfull when I bring her in the house about 4pm every day, she goes to bed about 8.30 and I put whatever is left into her hutch....this seems to do her fine. :)

i read about the unlimited pellets thing while they are babies, i can't imagine how that would work, bunnies will eat so much surely they'd end up mahoosive?! i can imagine Carlton could go a whole bag of Excel in one go if he put his mind to it! :lol: i read that 1oz of food per 1lb of rabbit is a good rule. i give my bun alot less than that and he fills up on hay, nummy. what sort of hay do you feed? i agree with the people saying to try something else. good luck x

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88586&highlight=unlimited this is a thread which is very good, it discusses the myth of feeding unlimited pellets to young rabbits under 6 months old. By reading it you will understand why unlimited pellets is an incorrect term describing the needs of rabbits and why it is important to restrict pellets as they are not a natural part of a rabbits food.

i'd not seen this, thanks :wave: i never thought it made sense, i'm glad i've always stuck to the bare minimum!

Back