• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ecunuculi positive

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hello everyone,my little moo has just been tested positive for ecuniculi but apart from a small cataract seems healthy(touch wood!)i guess this means that her husbun,bob,is likely to be positive.i am very clueless about it(fortunately i have an amasing vet,frances harcourt-brown)any information and advice about what to expect would be so helpful.mrs h-b said to try not to worry as it's not all doom and gloom but i am very concerned.thanks for any help you give:)

well assuming they both have a 6 week course of panacur that should kill the parasite, especially if you disinfect the area they wee in and don't let them eat off the floor (includes grass) - so any damage the parasite has done will be halted where it is - I think! I'm not an expert and I'm sure your vet is :)

my sooty has ec, unfortunately the panacur never seems to get rid of it completely even when I tried 6 weeks. so I still continue to worm all my buns about 3 - 4 times a year. Good hygine whilst you are worming is very important as you don't want to re-infect. Clean the water bowl at least once a day with bleech and I tend to try and change the litter tray once a day with a substrate on it like straw rather than hay so they wont accidently eat any wee. Give them food from a bowl or plate rather than the floor and make sure you disinfect their hutch/room well. Bleech is pretty much the only thing that kills it, try a 10% solution that you leave on for about 10 minutes.

Lucky you haveing FHB

could some-one tell me where the information on the dosage length being changed from 4 weeks to now being 6 weeks is please?

Last edited:
shame, hope bunny gets rid of this....i think this might be what mine has, but he has worse symptoms!

not good when the wee one isnt well :cry:

could some-one tell me where the information on the dosage length being changed from 4 weeks to now being 6 weeks is please?

I was advised 6 weeks after someone on here & my vet contacted the manufacturers. They were told 6 weeks after a confirmed case of EC.

I was advised 6 weeks after someone on here & my vet contacted the manufacturers. They were told 6 weeks after a confirmed case of EC.

Thanks for that Angie:D is this because the EC spores can live longer than the usual 28 day cycle in warmer weather?

Back