• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tomee has a respiratory infection... [*Ideas needed*]

Kenno

Warren Scout
....again. :(

Get well vibes and syringe feeding vibes needed!
:(

Edit: See Post #3! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you! :D

Also, can anyone think of a treat I can give him for after his baytril? It's such a hoo har trying to get him to have the baytril, I was thinking if I gave him a treat for afterwards hopefully he'd associate medication time with something tasty at the end of it.

He's on it twice a day so nothing that he shouldn't be having more than once a day.

Thank you! :D

Also, can anyone think of a treat I can give him for after his baytril? It's such a hoo har trying to get him to have the baytril, I was thinking if I gave him a treat for afterwards hopefully he'd associate medication time with something tasty at the end of it.

He's on it twice a day so nothing that he shouldn't be having more than once a day.

A dandelion leaf? THats what I used.

I almost perfected a technique for getting Baytril into my little Doris, after a couple of days of wrapping her in a towel and having her hide her head and wriggle! :roll::lol:

- put bun on lap
-sit them in the crook of your arm so they can't move backwards
- place your thumb gently but firmly behind their head so they cant pull it back
-put one finger under their chin
-one finger over the top of the face - their head is now pretty much immobile
-slide the syringe under the lip and squirt.
-stroke bun and bribe with dandelion leaf or similar

Hope this helps! :wave:

Thanks! :)
What I've been doing is kneeling up, sitting him between my legs facing away from me and holding him with my legs, then holding his head and slipping the syringe in his mouth, which he's fine with it's only when I squirt the baytril he goes mental! :rolleyes:

I think we're fresh out of dandelion, he's eaten the whole garden! :lol:

Hi,

I always used to specifically ask my vet for tablets rather than baytril liquid. He looked at me like I was a nutter but I had my reasons. After struggling with the liquid, I found it easier to crush a tablet and then take a raisen or sultana and slice it in half like a book (leaving it just joined at one side) and dab the sticky side of the raisen in the powder. Close the raisen back up and feed it to bunny. Some tablets took two or three raisens but I figured it was worth the 'sugar rush' for a weeks worth of antibiotics! Some of my buns haven't even needed the tablets crushed - I could just slot it inside the dried fruit and they'd happily crunch it up. However, if they're likely to 'spit' then I suggest crushing it first. I've always had tablets where possible because I've found them much easier to administer. You could also try the same trick with pieces of dried apricot or something similar.

Other than that, my vet knows me well and is happy to let me inject at home (after showing me how to do it of course) so you could always try that.

Thanks!

He has his first syringe in abit so I'll see how I go otherwise I'll have to ring the vets and see if there's another option!

I don't think I'd feel comfortable injecting him myself but tablets might work better!

Back