• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you pick up a big bun?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
Verity is wonderful with being picked up and held. Sometimes she'll run away when she doesn't wnt to know, but the majority of the time she's not too bothered. I mean, I was just lying down on the sofa snuggling with her on my chest for 10 minutes.

But Benjamin is much bigger and very, very stubborn. I've had him for 3-4 months and I try to pick him up everyday, but no matter how much I try he still puts up such a fight. He kicks and scratches like hell. Even when you've got him and hold him firmly, he still lashes out. Then ends up flicking his feet at me for 20 minutes.

I also hate stressing him out, it's obvious he hates it. Do I keep trying, or do you think he will never change? He's quite a big bun too, so he can sometimes really hurt me.

He's generally quite a laid back bun, will flop down fairly near you etc and it's clear that he trusts me, he just detests being held/picked up.

Can you pick up your big buns? Help?

I have only had my rabbit for a month, I am her 4th owner and to begin with she hated me picking her up or trying to get her out of her hutch! It scared me as she growled and lunged and clawed at me! I took ages to get her used to me but she has finally begun to trust me, she still hates being picked up, I wear a big baggy fleece every time I pick her up out of her hutch and I guess it smells of her now so she knows I am not going to hurt her, I also used a pair of cloth gardening gloves and got that smelling of her by cleaning out her hutch with them on......I still always wear the fleece but don't need the gloves very oftern.....I guess some buns just hate having their feet off the ground, instinct tells them its not a good thing....I hope that helps....I don't feel less of a bunny mummy for it as I always get lots of bunny licks and love.

Hi :wave:

I have giants and they are notorious for hating being picked up. When I do, I do it like this...
-stroke bun
-place your hand gently on the back of its neck/shoulders so you can stop them running
-slide your other arm under their upper belly and lift, releasing their neck
-as you do this, put your free arm around their back legs and support their weight
- wrap your arms snuggly around them and hold them tightly to your chest

This makes them feel safe and restricts movement. If they start to wriggle just pull them into your chest a bit more, although most buns will only tolerate this for a few minutes at most.

It sounds awkward, but it's a lot more of a fluid motion than it sounds. Good luck! :)

He's never licked me :( He's quite an independant bun as in he prefers to keep to himself or with Verity. I know he doesn't hate me, he'll willingly jump on to the couch whilst i'm on it, eats food from my hand and doesn't mind being stroked. He in fact loves face massages but that's about it.

aww my rabbit book says this...."if you have a rabbit that dose not like to be handled, don't be disappointed, learn to interact with it in different ways" it sounds like you are doing just right and he is a happy contented bun! :wave:

I have 2 giants who are easy to handle, yet one of my mini lops hate being handled, so I generally don't! She does the same as your bun - wriggles like hell then flicks and stomps her feet when she is free of me:lol:
If he's running off flicking his feet he really is telling you he doesn't like being snuggled, and some buns are just like that.
I wouldn't force the issue really, and just spend time hand feeding, and stroking whilst he is on the ground where he prefers to be.
So long as you know you can handle him when you need to I wouldn't worry:D

He seems happy enough, and it's not really like I *need* to hold him I guess. I just wanted to give him some love via cuddles. Verity, my mini lop loves snuggles.

I'll just have to make sure I spoil him with lots of nose rubs and kisses!

Back