• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Providing shade for hutches in summer.

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

this summer will be my first with my bunnies, although i got two of them last august weather wasn't that good last year.

what do you guys use to provide shade for your hutches...not the bun runs cos i have shades for them but specifically the hutches.

my garden is rather a sun trap and i'm concerned about providing shades for the front of the hutches( have made safari roofs)but i don't want to accidently make them hot boxes by covering them too much and not allowing air to circulate.

if you understand any of what i'm saying:lol: please advise.

if anyone has any pictures i'd really appreciate it....i want to make sure my little nose twitchers are cool and comfortable during the summer. xxxxx

I use a plastic washing basket turned upside down with a door cut into the front in the run. It has nice holes in the sides to allow air to circulate but keeps the direct sun off. I also place a flat clay roofing tile under this if it gets really hot , so they have something cool to lie an as well.

Mine are in sheds, but I have the same problem as one of my sheds gets very warm.
I tend to use the big parasols used for picnic tables (although you have to make sure they're very secure else they disappear in a gust of wind), and I also put a 10" electric fan on the outside of their runs - last year my frenchie barely moved from in front of her fan:D

Back