• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Happy Bunny...

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

I was just having a read on here and kept noticing 'flystrike' mentioned, so I found out what it was, and got paranoid about a couple of flies buzzing around her poos. So, I moved her hutch, ever so carefully to the patio, gave it a clean (taking care not to touch her nest), let her have a run around, then put her back. Since then, she is running up and down and up and down like a loony! She looks really happy and not at all sulky!

We have decided to fence off a larger area of the garden to allow them both to have a bigger play area. Of course I will have to clean it down completely when we decide to bond them wont I? I will be asking for advice about that when they are both neutered!

I'm really happy, cos she seems to be happier! She's turned me into a softie - my reputation will be in tatters!

Carmen

I'm glad to hear she's feeling better. :)

As for flystrike - it's easier to keep clean if you put litter trays in the run and hutch, then you can just clean them out.
Jeyes fluid is a very good fly deterent too. If you dilute it and put it in a spray bottle, you can spray it on the outside of the hutch and run - the flies hate the smell.
It is also safe once it dries so giving the run area/paving down with a dilute solution will remove all fly eggs and chase them away.
As one of mine is at a higher risk of flystrike I've removed all shavings and hay etc. and replaced it with vetbed so I can see exactly what's going on it there.

They still have all their hay though because I put it in piles in the litter trays, then they lie in there and munch and poo in the sun. :)

A bum check every day is good to be on the safe side too, just flip them upside down and have a little lookie, then give them a treat like a sprig of Parsley etc. :)

Glad your bunny is happy. I'm paranoid about flystrike as well as a friend's rabbit died from it. I do check morning and night and clean the litter trays everyday.

Thanks

She still looks very happy chillin out in the run! I've been out and bought her (and Mustard of course) some timothy hay and some little moulded tree log things made from afalfa and honey to stuff them in. She seems to have enjoyed a munch on that!

I gave Mustard the same, he's dragged the toy accross his hutch and is trying to climb in! I opened his door to take a piccie, and he stuck his head out of the door, then went straight back to the hay! Normally, he'll climb out and launch himself at me! Got him an outdoor run, so he can get some fresh air and excersise tomorrow if it's warm enough - thats gonna be fun!

Carmen

Back