• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fatty bun eating all the food...

jane28

Alpha Buck
I have just been watching Smokey and the Bandit through the window and have noticed that Smokey was sitting on top of the, now defunct and overturned, litter box eating half a carrot which she can only have taken up there with her...
Bandit was on the floor looking at her and nosing the carrot. I went out with some extra green carrot tops to give her and Smokey dropped the carrot and nicked the carrot tops!
Now Smokey has always been a bit heavier than Bandit but i have noticed that she has the big fatty pouch under her chin and Bandit doesnt, also Bandit has not gained any weight because even though the vet says she is a fine wieght i think she could do with a couple of extra bits on her...

Any suggestions??? Bandit by no means is a wallflower but lately when it comes to food Smokey is miss greedy guts...

oh sorry I didnt see this post

I have one bunny that hardly eats anything she is a girl,Norman who lives with her eats everything and pushes past her to get to the food.I often see Beatrix sat by the bowl eating the left overs.I try and give her nice bit of veg as I feel sorry for her.I think like us humans everyone is different and some are fussy and dont eat much and others like my Norman is a big porker :shock:

The fatty lump under Smokey's chin is a dewlap that some females develop.
If you are worried that she is getting more than her fair share, could you hand feed some pellets to them, making sure Bandit gets a larger portion (1 for you.... three for you !!!) or divide them whilst they are eating so Smokey can't hog it all!
My doe is greedier than my little nethie buck who eats far more slowly, so I try to make sure he gets his fair share, by hiding hers so she has to hunt for it, while he eats his more slowly!
She will still steal veggies from him, so he has to come back for another one, luckily she takes ages running around deciding where the best place to eat her stolen goodies.

Thanks for the advice :D

I have now started cutting the veg up into smaller portions rather than splitting them in two and they now have it in a bowl in the mornings so they have more choice of which bit to go for... i am also going to go back to seperate feeding bowls for the evening pellet feed putting a bit more in Bandits...
I could not get SMokey to hunt for food as she is way too lazy and would just nick all Bandits instead... :evil:

I couldnt remember what the fatty bit underneath was called because all my buns have never had them :roll: :lol:... Saying that Smokeys is HUGE...:shock: And Jackiestone if Norman is a porker then Smokey is a whole flippin litter of porkers... ! Well actually shes ok according to vet but that dewflap makes her look like one...:roll:

Back