• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help would be very gratful

Vicx3

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie i have been trying to look online about trying to find out about my rabbit he is a dwaf lop and he is very nervous i have had him for over a year now and i handle him every day but if he is out in the garden he wont let me go near him he also is very stiff when i pick him out of his cage i have tryed lots of things leaving the door open but he just wont come out:(, i have had him in doors where is is a little better he wil sit next to me on the sofa, only problem is i will bring is litter tray in on the floor and he will get up on the sofa to wee i try to tell him off n put him in his try but he will still get up on the sofa to wee.:? Would be very graful if anyone could give me some advice i just want him to be calm with me n not be so scared all the time, i will add i did get him from a pet shop and she said he had never been handled also i have had him neutered.
thanks everyone :wave:

Last edited:
:wave: Hi, welcome to RU

The first thing that came to mind was that this is exactly how both my rabbits are... don't forget that rabbits are prey animals and are nervous by nature. Many don't like being picked up and will never enjoy it. However they can learn to enjoy nose rubs, strokes and general interaction.

Can you pick your rabbit up? Does he struggle or scratch or will he sit there albeit reluctantly? Obviously you need to pick him up to transfer him to the garden/check his bum etc. You may need to accept that he isn't a cuddle bunny (most aren't). Another idea you could think about is getting him a friend. As he is neutered you could take him to a rescue and get him bonded with a ladyfriend and in my experience that often makes them less nervous and happier all round, especially if the girl you get is a friendly sort she will encourage him.

i have a bun who is scared of heights she will not come out of her hutch if you open the door the drop is only a foot max to get her to come out on own i leave door open and she has a ramp, re the weeing on sofa sounds like bun is trying to mark territory i would suggest not letting him on sofa unless it is easily cleaned he could also do it because he scared or excited. (my scared of heights one will jump onto anything but then cant get down without a ramp:roll:)
my best advice a is he nuetered?if not then mayb get him done also i would try and get him a freind some buns just prefer rabbit company if you sit on floor with treats often they will come and jump on your lap being picked up is scary as it is their prey instinct to get away. hope this helps

Thanks!

:wave:

Hi thanks for your reply he doesnt struggle to much when i pick up he will sit with me and he isnt as regid as he used to but he does show the whites of his eyes a bit sometimes, but as soon as he can see there is some where he can jump down he will, he has never bitten me before tho, but i did think about getting another one as he is alot better when the cat is around aswell only thing is i dont think my hutch would be bug enough 4 2 rabbits, i mean he does have the have the whole garden to run about im every day when i get back from work it just when there in the cage, so do u think take him to a rescue centre n see what lady he bonds with or buy a baby would u say? :)

many thanks :wave:

reply to kayjay

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi thanks for your reply he doesnt struggle to much when i pick up he will sit with me and he isnt as regid as he used to but he does show the whites of his eyes a bit sometimes, but as soon as he can see there is some where he can jump down he will, he has never bitten me before tho, but i did think about getting another one as he is alot better when the cat is around aswell only thing is i dont think my hutch would be bug enough 4 2 rabbits, i mean he does have the have the whole garden to run about im every day when i get back from work it just when there in the cage, so do u think take him to a rescue centre n see what lady he bonds with or buy a baby would u say?

many thanks

Hi there! :wave: Yes it sounds to me like he's just being a normal rabbit. :) Most people (myself included) see rabbits as cuddly pets before they get them, and are disappointed when they don't seem to want to be picked up. In their natural environment, rabbits would only ever be picked up when they were about to become something's dinner! So as a result most don't really enjoy it that much. Most rabbits do enjoy being interacted with on their own level though, with all four of their paws firmly on the ground they will likely enjoy nose rubs and similar (stay around the head end and always approach from the side so he can see you).

I agree about getting him a girlfriend from a rescue centre. If you go to a rescue centre you'll be able to see which bunnies he takes to, and also they will likely be able to bond them for you (an often stressful process). Furthermore the bunnies will have all been spayed and vaccinated already which is a major financial bonus as well as being better for the bunny. :)

AMETHYST

hi amethyst

Thanks for your reply, i may do that for him if it help him also i am not sure if my hutch would be big enough for to tho? what sort of size would i need for two rabbits? i domlet himmout every day in the evening so he has the whole garden to run around in. :)

I've pm'd you, but if you check on here for accommodation and housing ideas it'll give you an idea of possible setups. The minimum for two buns is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with run access. What size hutch is he in at the moment? You might be able to extend his hutch/attach a run for him - most rescues are flexible but you will need to reach the minimum recommended space for two rabbits. I have a Happy Hutch and run which is 6 x 2 hutch over a 6 x 4 run which gives them a nice space to live in :)

Back