• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor guinea pig cage...!

jane28

Alpha Buck
Ok so having had guinea pig before i have never had one inside... So i need to know from you indoor guinea pig people, how big should a cage be :? ? And can you point me to any (cheap!) cages? :lol:

if you are going to have a pair of piggies..which i think you are..:lol:..then you will need at least a 4 foot cage..as with bunnies the bigger the better.
Piggies like a place to hide so a tunnel or hidey hole is needed..
look on e bay for 2nd hand ones, aslong as they are disinfected well you should find a bargain:D

Right so at least 1m in length then... Will get to looking and i'm on ebay already! Yep hidey holes and tunnels fine... I now have to think where it will go!

You can use lino or if you have a sign making company near you they make the sale signs from something call correx.They often will give you it for free:D

my pairs have 2x4 cages - don't forget the depth of it is as important as the length and often varies - some of my '3 foot' cages are smaller than my others, much to my great disappointment when they were delivered :roll: I wouldn't touch Imac or ferplast cages again as they are poor quality with the door in the top too small for picking nervous piggies up (my huge Imac houses one very docile piggy - I'd fall into it trying to reach one of my 'corner huggers') and the ferplast is so hard to clean - stupid design :roll: Savic are nice, but not as deep as the others, so you may need a 5' cage by that manufacturer. Or you could buy an indoor hutch from happyhutch, as another idea - paint it how you like and use it as a sideboard - I've got several and lined the bottom and half way up the sides with fablon sticky-back plastic, so they are easy to clean :)

my pairs have 2x4 cages - don't forget the depth of it is as important as the length and often varies - some of my '3 foot' cages are smaller than my others, much to my great disappointment when they were delivered :roll: I wouldn't touch Imac or ferplast cages again as they are poor quality with the door in the top too small for picking nervous piggies up (my huge Imac houses one very docile piggy - I'd fall into it trying to reach one of my 'corner huggers') and the ferplast is so hard to clean - stupid design :roll: Savic are nice, but not as deep as the others, so you may need a 5' cage by that manufacturer. Or you could buy an indoor hutch from happyhutch, as another idea - paint it how you like and use it as a sideboard - I've got several and lined the bottom and half way up the sides with fablon sticky-back plastic, so they are easy to clean :)

I didnt think of an indoor hutch... Hmmm that might be easier, could i have a two level hutch for guinea pigs, as long as the ramp wasn't too steep? I could even add a bannister to prevent anyone falling over the side just in case...!

I have exactly that. My 7 live in a Thistle Hall (from P@H) with an attached run. I have put in a banister to prevent any accidents, i also put in a shelf to create an upstaires in the bedroom bit :D

these are the type I have - come in all sizes up to HUGE http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=48&categoryID=8 and what's good is the flat top - you can varnish it and dust it more easily than a hutch with roofing felt attached - could look quite a nice feature if you used your imagination :D I don't have a ladder type hutch for my piggies but if I did I'd definitely put bannisters on it and around the hatch at the top - they are a bit dim, and quite often go blind as they age, so I'd be a bit worried about a hole in the floor as they do love to gallop up and down in high spirits :D

Back