• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does this behaviour mean?

Bugsy's has been on her own during the day now since Monday, she looks so sad in the morning when we leave. However when we get home she leaps out the cage when I open it, Binkys around for ages, and is the most naughty bunny all night :lol:

I'm trying to decide if this means she is fine on her own so we don't have to rush into get her a new friend, or maybe it means she is really excited to have some company and is lonely during the day? Would be so much easier if she could just tell me!

Yesterday my O/H got home about 3.30pm and when he let her out she darted behind the TV (even though we block if off, she always finds a new way in) and chewed through his XBOX lead in seconds. I told him she was saying 'please don't play that daddy I want you to give me attention' :lol:

I'm trying to decide if this means she is fine on her own so we don't have to rush into get her a new friend, or maybe it means she is really excited to have some company and is lonely during the day? Would be so much easier if she could just tell me!

Yes it sounds to me like she's lonely. Miles was like this before we got him Miffy as a friend, he'd madly dash about as soon as we got home even though he was free range all the time. Once we got Miffy he was far more settled and happy, he'd do more flops and binkies, and seemed generally better off. :)

AMETHYST

Yes it sounds to me like she's lonely. Miles was like this before we got him Miffy as a friend, he'd madly dash about as soon as we got home even though he was free range all the time. Once we got Miffy he was far more settled and happy, he'd do more flops and binkies, and seemed generally better off. :)

AMETHYST

Thats what I thought. Its not even been a week since we lost Joey so I don't want to rush to replace him. She's still binking and flopping its just when we are work I worry x

why not get her a cuddly toy for the daytime, just check she doesn't chew it or eat the eyes off it :) Sounds like she's happy to see you, but that doesn't mean she's unhappy when you're not there either. I've got a single bunny outside in a hutch and all he does between the hours of 10 and 5 is eat hay, eat poopies and snooze - he's not unhappy, they are just diurnal animals and don't do much during the middle part of the day :)

It does take about a fortnight for rabbits to get used to new situations though, so she will still be getting used to being alone - Benny was very nervous when his brother died as they made each other feel secure, but he was fine after a while and doesn't seem at all unhappy as a singleton - really you are the best judge :)

I will be getting her a new friend eventually as I have the space and money to help one. I'd rather wait for a while, but don't want to if Bug's is upset and lonely.

I know I'm the best judge but I really can't make up my mind :lol: this is why I wish she could just tell me.

I know I'm the best judge but I really can't make up my mind :lol: this is why I wish she could just tell me.

It is indeed a toughie! Actually having said what I said in my first post, I believe that Benny is just as happy single as he is bonded. I guess I just noticed Miles' behaviour more as he was my first bunny and I was still learning. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to wait a while and take your time, keep a teddy with her and maybe a heat pad too if it isn't hot weather, then after a while you'll be able to be a better judge of how she's feeling long-term. :)

AMETHYST

It is indeed a toughie! Actually having said what I said in my first post, I believe that Benny is just as happy single as he is bonded. I guess I just noticed Miles' behaviour more as he was my first bunny and I was still learning. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to wait a while and take your time, keep a teddy with her and maybe a heat pad too if it isn't hot weather, then after a while you'll be able to be a better judge of how she's feeling long-term. :)

AMETHYST

Thanks, I'll get her a teddy to snuggle. I think its the fuss she is missing, Joey was constanly gromming her :cry: I sat on the floor with her for half an hour last night giving her nose rub's, went back to the sofa to sit down and she stamped at me! Then came running over, nudged my leg and sat with her head on the floor waiting for more fuss. Of course I couldn't resist.

Back