• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

no idea with rabbit care

sidney2225

New Kit
Ive had my rabbit for about 10 months now and have always let him/her out of cage around 10am till around 6pm,unless its raining(outdoor rabbit)but is this normal to let it out so long as have read in other forums that a couple of hour is the norm.I really have no idea about rabbit care and the rabbit seems ok but does not bond with our family,thanks in advance for any advice

Exercise is great for bunnies so the more exercise the better. The only issue can be safety. You need to watch out for cats/foxes etc. so many people can't let their rabbits lose in the garden because of security or limited time to watch them.

Some people have runs attached to hutches instead so spend some time in there as well.

Of course some people leave their rabbits shut up in little hutches all day but that's not much fun for a bunny :(

The rabbit welfare association have lots of advice leaflets if you want to learn more: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Hi :wave:

I have a hutch with a run attached. THe buns can come and go as they please and are never shut in because their run is safe. I also have 2 that live in the house with me.
I don't think there is a limit to how much exercise a bunny can have really. My two that have the run outside come running to me for cuddles and food whenever I go out there so there is no reason why they shouldn't bond with you. A happy bunny will always be more affectionate than a sad one.

On the other hand, bunnies are very easy to litter train, and make great indoor pets. THey love to play with toys and will tame very easily the longer they spend with you. Lots of people on this forum have house bunnies and find it very rewarding. :)

Edit: just to add that bunnies are naturally colony animals, and do much better with a friend. Their character will often change and they will become more friendly and handleable because they are happy. A neutered/spayed pair are the best match. There are lots available for rehoming through this site that are beautiful!! :)

Last edited:
thanks for your advice.Im thinking of getting him spayed/neutered asap to get him/her a partner for company .

that would be really nice for him,
i have 3 rabbits, chelsea is out all day everyday come rain or shine(she stays inside of her own choice in the rain these days) but she has lots of places to hide and mum is 99% home with her if going out for long periods then she gets popped into a run attatched to her rabbit room.

the 2 i have here dora and snowy are outside free in the garden when ever i am home if i go out i too shut them into run/hutch) i do this not so much in fear of predators(tho that is a partial reason) but more so that they are great escape artists!!

My bunny is never locked in his cage anymore. But we are lucky because we have a 2d floor flat and the balcony on which Twitch lives is completely safe. We put some chicken wire around the bits where I thought he might be able to fall off from, and obviously no fox can climb that high (and to be honest I can;t imagin they would even see the bun), and because there is another balcony above ours, no birds can try to get him either as it would crash on the balcony.
I think the longer they are out the better!

Back