• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the difference?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
What's the difference between a Cinnamon Rex and a Harlequin Rex? Smudge looks like Jay's Bertie to me but I was told it was a Harlequin Rex.

I cant find a decent picture of a cinnamon but Callisto is a harlequin:

moto_0135.jpg

Cinnamon are an agouti patterned Rex along with castor, chinchilla, lynx & opal....Harlequin are classed as 'other' by show standard along with dalmation, himilayan, silver seal and satin.

You'll see that Callisto is paler then bertie and has patches of colour.
Berts is generally a cinnamon colour with a dark band and paler belly. Because he's a Mini rex, and possibly crossed as well, he's not really either, bit of a Heinz 57 :D
(please correct me if im wrong, someone, I amd only going on what our original vet told us :) )

b33web.jpg

Ooooh I thought Bertie was a darker harlequin??? Then again, what do I know! :lol:
ummm..... probably more than me ;) and 'Dark Harlequin' sounds so much more exotic :lol:

I thought 'Harlequin' colouring was this , which is similar, but more defined than Berties.
(I've pinched this pic of Charcoal's mum's 'Thumper')

DSC01071.jpg

Last edited:
Im pretty sure Bertie is harlequin not cinnamon Jay....cinammon is a complete colour shading.

Where are the breeders when you need them? :rolleyes: :lol:

Bertie is a Harlequin - and possibly a sooty fawn harlequin (ah you gotta love breeders that mix their colours :rolleyes:) Certainly not a cinnamon. Cinnamons are likely a really realy light bright agouti - if that makes sense?

Not a great pic of a cinnamon it looks MUCH brighter in rex but gives an idea: http://www.thebrc.org/images/cinnamon.jpg

There are different varieties of harlequin and they can also come in other colors.
Also I hear they are quite hard to breed, so in one litter you can get babies with more or less markings than what is "normal" even if both parents are perfectly marked harlequins (I have no experience with harlequin breeding, but as an example I could mention the school's dalmatian rexes, both parents are nicely marked dalmatians but their kits come out as everything from all black to nearly all white (including perfectly marked dalmatians, overmarked and some with too little spots)
So a "harlequin" may well be an all brown bunny (forgive me I'm not good with English color-names... We call them yellow-black Japanese/harlequins) with just one black spot on the side of the face or body, though it won't be show-quality;)

Fixed it! She is called Charlotte and I only got her on Sunday, this is Oscar her litter mate. We will be seperating them within the next couple of weeks until they are 'done'

Hannahsfirstdayatschoolandnewbun-3.jpg

Back