• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hunny is sulking in the rain...

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi,

Hunny is in the pouring rain out there - she hasn't bothered about the odd showers recently, but now it's really chucking it down. She's in the run, and has a nice dry hutch to go into - but seems to prefer the rain.

She's still nesting, and I'm unsure if it's real or phantom - still waiting to find out. My question is, shall I bring her hutch inside? If she is pregnant, will it rattle her too much, or is she better off being left alone? She still wont allow us to handle her, but she allowed me to stroke her today, and accepted some dandelions while I was still next to the run (usually she pretends that she 's not interested, until I go in the house).

I really dont want to upset her - the poor sweetheart has been through so much, I even feel guilty when I change her water and give her food, as she is still really nervous.

thanks in advance.

Carmen

When you say unsure if its real or phantom has she been with an un-neutered bunny?!

If she has access to a hutch and prefers to sit in the rain then so be it lol

xx

When you say unsure if its real or phantom has she been with an un-neutered bunny?!

If she has access to a hutch and prefers to sit in the rain then so be it lol

xx

Lol - here we go...

I was driving down the road a couple of weeks ago, minding my own business and a rabbit hopped across the road in front of me. She was so cute, and having never even handled a rabbit, let alone owned one, I though "oh! look - I'll catch it and call the RSPCA!" Hah! 2½ hours of rugby diving in 5" heels and a dry clean only coat, dashing back and forth across a main road, nearly getting killed in the process, I finally managed to catch her. So, off I toddled home with this little girl in a pampers box (donated by a gent who was only too pleased to get rid of this fluffball who'd been eating his flowers for the last week apparently). I called the RSPCA, who put me onto the local animal shelter. They were packed and overflowing with bunnies, so I offered to keep her till her owners claimed her. There were no posters in the area, no reports of a missing bun, and after a week, we decided that she needed more than an indoor hutch, so we bought her a big outdoor hutch and run. The following night, we got a call from the owner.

They took her back home for 24 hours, their cat 'disagreed' with her, so they called me and asked if we wanted her back. Of course, we had taken a liking to her by then, and were only too happy to give her a home. To our knowledge, she was wandering loose for over a week, and had been off on her journeys the week before. Then, on Monday morning, I was greeted by a moody, biting, uncooperative bunny, whose hutch looks like an explosion in a duvet making factory!

Hence, the worry that she isn't having a phantom, but in fact that she may actually be pregnant! Phew! So, from no pets, to possibly baby bunnies, it's been an eventful month.

Carmen

Lol - here we go...

I was driving down the road a couple of weeks ago, minding my own business and a rabbit hopped across the road in front of me. She was so cute, and having never even handled a rabbit, let alone owned one, I though "oh! look - I'll catch it and call the RSPCA!" Hah! 2½ hours of rugby diving in 5" heels and a dry clean only coat, dashing back and forth across a main road, nearly getting killed in the process, I finally managed to catch her. So, off I toddled home with this little girl in a pampers box (donated by a gent who was only too pleased to get rid of this fluffball who'd been eating his flowers for the last week apparently). I called the RSPCA, who put me onto the local animal shelter. They were packed and overflowing with bunnies, so I offered to keep her till her owners claimed her. There were no posters in the area, no reports of a missing bun, and after a week, we decided that she needed more than an indoor hutch, so we bought her a big outdoor hutch and run. The following night, we got a call from the owner.

They took her back home for 24 hours, their cat 'disagreed' with her, so they called me and asked if we wanted her back. Of course, we had taken a liking to her by then, and were only too happy to give her a home. To our knowledge, she was wandering loose for over a week, and had been off on her journeys the week before. Then, on Monday morning, I was greeted by a moody, biting, uncooperative bunny, whose hutch looks like an explosion in a duvet making factory!

Hence, the worry that she isn't having a phantom, but in fact that she may actually be pregnant! Phew! So, from no pets, to possibly baby bunnies, it's been an eventful month.

Carmen

Ahhhh i understand now lol!
I must say that really did make me laugh how you worded it lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohhhhh wow lol maybe take her to a vets?!

xx

Do you think I should? Again, it's back to the issue of unsettling her again. If she is really pregnant, will it upset her more, if I take her to the vet? If she's nesting, that's a sign babies could arrive soon isn't it?

I was going to let her figure out if she is, or isn't, then take her to the vet (depending on the outcome) and arrange for her to be neutered and try to bond her with the young male we got when we thought she was happily reunited with her owners (see, it gets even more complicated!).

If the general consensus here is that she is ok out in the rain, having a very womanly sulk (I'm taking notes - she's good!), I think I might wait till she either produces little ones, or stops nesting, then take her to the vet. Argh! I though kids were hard work!

Carmen

:lol: you have had a bit of a fun time!

If she's nesting and pregnant odds are she'll deliver very soon, if she just thinks she's pregnant she should get bored and ignore then nest within a week.

Rabbit gestation is about four weeks. If she's been out for two weeks and you've had her a couple of weeks that would be about right on the timeline.

She'll need to see a vet for jabs/pre-neuter check so I'd give her a few days to see if any surprises arrive and if not book her in and take it from there :)

Is your male neutered already? If not if you get him done now he'll be calmed down so you can bond them after her op.

The weather (though miserable) should be warm enough now that she'll be fine outside - if she's building an impressive nest any babies she does have will be plenty warm enough.

Tamsin

:lol: you have had a bit of a fun time!

If she's nesting and pregnant odds are she'll deliver very soon, if she just thinks she's pregnant she should get bored and ignore then nest within a week.

Rabbit gestation is about four weeks. If she's been out for two weeks and you've had her a couple of weeks that would be about right on the timeline.

She'll need to see a vet for jabs/pre-neuter check so I'd give her a few days to see if any surprises arrive and if not book her in and take it from there :)

Is your male neutered already? If not if you get him done now he'll be calmed down so you can bond them after her op.

The weather (though miserable) should be warm enough now that she'll be fine outside - if she's building an impressive nest any babies she does have will be plenty warm enough.

Tamsin

The male is only 10 weeks old, so he isn't allowed out yet. He's in the indoor hutch (well, some of the time, the rest of the time he's bombing it up and down the hallway with my youngest son). I was told I can get him neutered at 4½ months, along with all his injections - is that right?

I've just checked on her this morning and opened her run. She's still running round with bits of hair, tucking them into the hay, but no babies. She doesn't seem to have actually eaten any of the hay I gave her, just tucked it away in the nest. Should I put more in the hutch for her?

Got to go to the school now, have a meeting with the special needs department (trying to move my autistic son from mainstream to special school) - ho hum...

Carmen

Wey hey,

Welcome to RU :wave: and the wonderful world of bunnies :D:D:D

What an 'exciting' time you are having and well done with your rescue bunny.
As for your boy bunny, he can be castrated as soon as his plums drop - the age does vary between bunnies so keep an eye out for them! As far as jabs go he can be vaccinated now.

Keep us informed and hope you had success with your son and his school.

Vanessa xx

i must say.. you sound like the sort pf person who's life is full of drams lol the way you've worded it has made me chuckle but i wish you all the best lol keep us informed xXx

Lol - thanks guys!

Checked Mustard for plums, nothing yet. Both booked in for Wednesday at Powis for jabs and pre-neuter check for Hunny (as long as she is up to it). The lady I spoke to was really nice, she said to leave Hunny at home if she didn't feel upto being moved, they wouldn't charge me for it.

Carmen

Back