• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know no-one here will approve but...

GemmaH

Mama Doe
I stupidly just went for a nosy in a far from perfect pet shop near me and have come home with two guinea pigs.

They were in a tank together advertised as a 'breeding pair, must go together'. The female is heavily pregnant and although I walked around the rest of the shop afterwards I ended up going back over. I just couldn't help thinking that just anybody could walk in and take them home with them.

I asked one of the girls if she could tell me about them (answer - what do you want to know?). All she could tell me was that they had been together 'ages', she's been there 7 weeks and they've been together all that time 'upstairs'. I asked if they bred their own animals then and she said no, it's just that they come in mixed. I was a bit confused after that though because she also told me that they are 6mths old and the sow had littered before, she thought once but wasn't sure.

I know it wasn't the action that is recommended, buying from pet shops, but I'm afraid I couldn't leave them there :(.

What in the hell did they think they were DOING, selling a heavily pregnant sow???????????? :evil: :evil: :evil: That is positively EVIL. :censored: To be perfectly honest, I am not sure that I could have walked off and left them there, either. :cry: :cry:

I forgot to add, apparently it puts people off when they advertise them as a breeding pair because most people don't want to breed, but they were quite keen for her to go because apparently when they litter in the glass tanks on the shop floor the children banging on the glass upsets them and they can end up eating the babies :evil:

Im glad you got them out of there to be honest.
keep us updated with their progress!
i try and afford pet shops now as i would walk out with everything!!
xx

what an awful pet shop :cry: I just don't go in them - I'd do same as you or have nightmares for weeks :roll:

I once went into one the other week. There was this little Lop. I had tears in my eyes because I knew that I could give him a great home. But my mum was saying that we couldnt because of D&J x

Keep us posted with the progress, and good luck:)
Jack x

Sometimes we have to do what our inner voice tells us, whatever the circumstances, and that's cos it's mostly the right thing to do, so well done :thumb: and I hope they bring you with lots of happiness :)

this is the very reason that i have to walk on by every pet shop - i couldnt just leave them there either. well done you on getting them out of that awful place. keep us updated on their progess. x

It's awful, isn't it? There is a pet shop near me that I really don't like and, the last time I went in there (over a year ago), it was full of pregnant sad looking guinea pigs. One of them in particular I just couldn't stop thinking about. I've never been back since. :(

OH MY GOODNESS :shock: No I don't blame you either, Gemma, but please pm me to tell me which petshop it is!

OK so I know this petshop, have been in once and never again - it makes the large pet store we love so much look like an animal sanctuary! What can we do? Are there any laws regarding petshops and how they keep the animals? When I went in there were too many animals crammed into glass tanks and I overheard some teenagers talking about buying the mice to breed to feed babies to their snakes (I hung around and they did leave but....)

Back