• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Next door's cats have ear mites....

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
....and the vet has told my neighbour that rabbits can get the same mites :? Well actually its only 2 out of 3 of her cats who have them.

Whats the likelihood they will get them? The cats occassionally sit on the bunnies run but they never get any closer than that and the bunnies just ignore the cats.

I am going to check them over but I am not sure what I should be looking for....

They don't appear to be scratching their ears or are in any way out of sorts

Just wondering if anyone knew.

Thanks

The chances of your buns catching cat ear mites is very very slim. I have 4 cats, one had ear mites and the other 3 didnt catch them... I do know what to look for, and she was treated quickly, but cats have to be living together and have very close contact for it to be passed on. I really wouldnt worry, especially as they arent even your cats.:)

Oh brill thank you so much. As I say I will keep a close eye on them. My neighbour has just told me that the mites are microscopic and I can't say I fancy drudging all 3 buns to the vets to be checked to find they don't have any.

I will just have to go an fuss them all and have a good look and a little poke to see if they look nice and clean and healthy. Not long since I did it last but best go again just to check

Thanks again

Back