• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Family of Foxes living next door!!!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I don't know what to do about this. There are a family of foxes living under next door's garden shed. There is a male and a female and 2 young cubs. I'm scared for the rabbits. What can I do to protect them? Is there anyone that could move them to a better location? The female also looks like she has mange. We have a cat and a dog and we don't want it to transfer to them. On the hutch, I have locks on every door and it is strong wire mesh on the doors. On the run, there is strong wire mesh all the way around, although only held on by staples, and it has a roof, which we are currently going to put a lock on. And the run is permantely on grass. What can I do, other than bring the rabbits inside, which is the last resort?

Relatives of mine had a family of foxes next door,they rang the RSPCA and they moved the whole family,as they have mange they may do this and treat the mange at the same time.Have you got a shed or garage that you can keep the buns in overnight?

TBH, the foxes have probably been there a longer time than you realise. It sounds like your safety precautions are ok, as foxes DO NOT chew through wire, regardless of what rumours you hear.
THe only thing I would say is maybe put mesh or a bottom of some kind on your run, as much to prevent your buns digging out as the foxes digging in.

As for the mange, so far as I am aware it is not tranferable between species - and even if it were, it would need prolonged close contact between the foxes and your cat/dog. Now unless they adopt them into the family that is unlikely to happen.
As it is spring/summer there is likely to be more than enough food for the foxes so I wouldn't worry about the steling your buns, or your cat for that matter!

Dependant on your location they are either urban foxes, (in which case they are experts at foraging anyway) or rural foxes. Rural foxes have enough to eat with wild bunnies, mice, voles, worms, slugs, snails and berries.

I wouldn't worry, just enjoy having more wildlife in your area. :)

Oh i bet this is worrying for you. Maybe it is best to phone a local RSCPA as im sure you would rather be safe than sorry :).

I would watch for the run on grass as the foxes could dig in or buns dig out, do you lock them in their hutches at night?

Hope they are ok and safe.. Best to keep a close eye on them.

xx

Thanks. The bunnies are locked in their hutch at night. They are urban foxes. I've spoken to next door and they said they'd speak to the RSPCA and see if they can be moved.

I've had a fox den on the other side of my back fence, at the bottom of my garden, for years. My rabbit was always kept near the house and I had dogs, so fortunately the foxes werent a problem. I agree that theyve probably been there a lot longer than youve known about, but knowing they are near now, shouldnt really pose any extra threat, though your bound to be worrying. There are extra mouths to feed, but mum would have been needing extra food for weeks anyway. Always assume foxes are near, and take as many precautions as possible. Never leave buns out in a run on their own, add extra locks and shutters on hutch fronts are good idea, or at least a covering to keep buns out of sight..... and if you havent got a dog, a good watering of man wee round your garden wouldnt go amiss!

im sure i saw on a different thread, if you buy them dog food they wont be hungry so they wont try to hunt your bunnies ;)

Back