• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits babies question??

emma85

New Kit
Hi one of my rabbits had 4 babies, we think it was about a week ago as that was first time we noticed them and that she had pulled out fur.
the mother has pulled out a lot of fur and looked after them really well for a week although now she seems to be leaving them exposed, is this normal?? they seem to be growing fine and have fur but i was worried they may still be too cold? they are in an outdoor cage
any help appreciated

Make sure there is plenty of hay in there for the mum to replenish the nest with, lots and lots. Her fur will help too although she coudn't possibly pull out enough to compensate for lack of hay, or she'd be bald :shock:

How big were they when you found them? How old do you think they are?

I can offer no more advice because I've not been through this but I hope they do well and someone else should be able to help you on this soon :)

EDIT: Is the mum living with a male or other rabbit? If so you should separate them 1. because they could hurt the babies 2. because rabbits can become pregnant again straight after giving birth

Thank you for the reply, the babies i would say are one week old i would say we found them on the 21st
here they are

SP_A0100.jpg

i have been putting plenty of hay in everyday when feeding but putting it in other side for her to put in nest and she just eats it

rabbits all have there own cages so it is just her and the babies

thank you for help
can anyone else suggest any ideas??
take care emma x

What about putting hay by the nest as well as the other side? She will be eating more as she is feeding the babies.

They are gorgeous and look very healthy!

I will try that thanks i have today for the first time cleaned other side of cage i didnt want her to think i was desturbing the nest so have left that, they seem big enough and look to be being fed well so will leave her to it and see how it goes
i will keep you updated

Well they do look quite lovely and plump! :D

Yes I would also suggest trying to put the hay closer, she might get the idea then. Is she aggressive at all when you are near them?

Was it an accidental mating?

i havent been near them whilst she has been in cage i always rub her well and take her out the cage before i go near them as i know they dont like smells upseting nest
it is the first time we put her with the male but we will be either keeping the babies or making sure they go to real good home - we definately want to keep one of the babies anyway

i havent been near them whilst she has been in cage i always rub her well and take her out the cage before i go near them as i know they dont like smells upseting nest
it is the first time we put her with the male but we will be either keeping the babies or making sure they go to real good home - we definately want to keep one of the babies anyway

if you get them both neutered then you could keep them together all the time they would really love the company!.(obviously dont put male in now or at all until he is neutered and hormones have calmed down think 4weeks after?) good luck they look to be doing well. xx

Thanks, the male and female have been separate since we got them we have 4 cages, i will look into getting them neutered tho because i know they like company, we used to keep the two females together but then one of them got a bit vicious

Thanks, the male and female have been separate since we got them we have 4 cages, i will look into getting them neutered tho because i know they like company, we used to keep the two females together but then one of them got a bit vicious

females will get vicious when they are hormonal this is usually cured or better with neutering also rabbits tend not to bond so well or fall out later on in life if they are not both neutered. sounds like this was the case with your two. many people on here have groups and yes i do know not all bunnys will bond. but with a bit of luck once everything calmed down and babies are grown up the buns could be neutered(dad,mum and 1baby) and live together? would be nice!

Thanks its a good idea would definately have to get a bigger cage to accomodate them all
mother has been ok and babies too although today for some reason it was a real struggle to get her to come out of cage - shes ok now running around i think its because she caught us having a sneaky look at babies yesterday and up until this time she didnt think we knew about them lol

Back