• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Intermittant coughing and sneezing help U/D Baytril fixed it!

bunnyhopper

Mama Doe
Buttons has over the last 3 days started having bouts of about 30 seconds of sneezing, turning into coughing, followed by him making a noise something like a duck quack and shaking his head. It looks very like he is trying to clear something from his throat. This happens 2-3 times a day.
He is presently moulting, and I wondered if it could be fur stuck in his throat - respiratory tract.
Other than this he is his usual happy self, but the coughing seems to be rather severe.
Is this a trip to the vet condition, or does it often happen with moulting buns?

Last edited:
Has he got a discharge from his nose? If so, and it is milky white, I would get him to the vets asap.

If not, it could be fur. Try giving him some kitty moulting stuff, available from pet shops to prevent fur balls. Have you noticed if his poo's are stuck together with bits of fur?

I would take him to the Vets as he will need a thorough examination including his lungs being listened to with a stethescope

Janex :)

I noticed my bun MJ sneeze a few times this morning and was wondering the same - he sounds the same as yours, no discharge, no other signs of being ill, just sneezing. I'll keep an eye on this thread for advice, thanks for posting it :)

I noticed my bun MJ sneeze a few times this morning and was wondering the same - he sounds the same as yours, no discharge, no other signs of being ill, just sneezing. I'll keep an eye on this thread for advice, thanks for posting it :)

Some Buns are prone to seasonal rhinitis ( hay fever!! )
Its always important to get a sneezy Bun Vet checked but it is not always infection that is the problem.

My two 'allergy Buns' have responded very well to Benadryl Syrup ( an antihistimine for children). You could mention this to your Vet. I also use it for 'Snuffles' Buns, along with the prescribed abx. The Benadryl helps soothe the inflammed nasal membranes in both infective and allergenic causes

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/benadryl.html

http://www.allergyadvice.co.uk/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=benadryl_for_kids

Some Buns are prone to seasonal rhinitis ( hay fever!! )
Its always important to get a sneezy Bun Vet checked but it is not always infection that is the problem.

My two 'allergy Buns' have responded very well to Benadryl Syrup ( an antihistimine for children). You could mention this to your Vet. I also use it for 'Snuffles' Buns, along with the prescribed abx. The Benadryl helps soothe the inflammed nasal membranes in both infective and allergenic causes

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/benadryl.html

http://www.allergyadvice.co.uk/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=benadryl_for_kids

HAY FEVER?:shock: do you have to remove thier hay and only give them grass during this? i am surprised... gosh never had a bun with allergies(touch wood )

Thanks Jane, I'll keep an eye on him for a couple of days and if he carries on sneezing I'll get him checked out.

I think although we call it 'hayfever' it can be caused by all sorts of pollen etc can't it?

Buttons not any better, so have been to vets.
Apparantly - coughing in a rabbit (not sneezing) is very rare. My bunny savvy vet rarely comes across it.
Lungs sound clear. Teeth OK, (couple sharp edges, but nothing of note). Tummy fine.

She put it down to an upper respiratory tract infection, gave inj of anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic, and we have come home with course of Baytril.

I asked if rabbits get furballs, like cats do, and she said it is possible, but she has never had a rabbit present with a cough because of it, as it would cause a digestive problem, not a breathing one.

Will see how we get on. Buttons now sulking in garden, getting over the shock of a vet visit. Will find him a nice treat to cheer him up.

Update 11.5.08 All better...

After a 1 week course of Baytril, I am happy to say Buttons is completely better, and getting into more mischief than ever.
He hasn't coughed at all since last wednesday, so I hope it has gone.

Just need to make sure whatever it was doesn't come back now the treatment has ended, but he seems fine.

I guess we will never know the cause of this, but so glad he is better.

Back