• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

memory span?

I don't think it's a crazy question. My rabbits seem to have a pretty good memory - they certainly remember what treats are when I shout the word as they either run to me, or their run, because that's where they get them. It's a brilliant way to get them into their shed at night. They also know the word "in" at night when I'm actually getting them from the run to their attached shed so I guess that has got to be memory (or repetition- perhaps the same thing?). I think rabbits are very clever and I'm going to try shake a paw soon although hubbie thinks I'm mad (I am but happy to be mad) ;)

It must be quite good - look how quickly they learn routines.

I could tell Muppet remembered both my mother's house and Kayj's Bunnyhops at his second visit, when in each case the first visit had been six weeks previously.

they can definately be tained very easily - they are highly intelligent and remember very well. 'clicker' training seems to work brilliantly with buns. x

I am going to try clicker training my 2 - how would that work then? would I, for instance, say in (as I do when I want them in the run) click and give treat in that order

I believe you click as giving the treat as this means they associate a click with something good. That's what my cat clicker training book says.

I'd love to try this but what exactly do you need to teach rabbits to do. Obviously getting back into hutches and things is always good and carriers for going to the vets.
Is it actually good for them like mental stimulation is good for dogs?

I think Minstrel would do anything for a treat but once its just the clicker he'd ignore you!! :roll::lol:

like I said I'm going for the give me a paw trick - wouldn't it be great if I managed it?? not hopeful as my 2 are pretty much free spirits.
They will go to their shed for a treat and they will go in the shed at night without a treat - just if I ask the to -which i think is pretty good. If they are feeling naughty though they do disobey me and I end up chasing them through the bushes with a torch (not good)
I wonder if they could do lie down!!!!!!!! - now I think I'm going too far

pretty good memory span i think, sorrel knows her names and i have read of cases of rabbits recognising previous owners after separation for several months

Well excellent association memory... fridge opening or chopping on chopping board = yummy food available. But very short term memory post feeding - I think mine forget they've had dinner as soon as they've eaten it :?

You should certainly be able to do some clicker training. If you do a search for clicker training rabbits on youtube you'll find some videos of clicker trained bunnies :)

Mental stimulation is definately good for bunnies :)

Tamsin

Back