• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Normal' rabbits

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
In class the other day we was on a break, and i was checking my order of an online site where id ordered treats 4 the buns...

and sum1 in my class went 'why r u so obsessed with youre rabbits'

me: "Im not, anything but actually! Im not 'extreme' i just look after them they way they shud be looked after"

him: "But they dont need all this stuff, its just a waste of money"

me: "what so i should put them in a tiny hutch nd just give them food and water every day n then leave them?"

him: "well yeh.."

and the sad thing was he wast being rude. he genuinlly didnt understand. I wasnt angry...i tried to explain... but he thinks thats the 'right/normal' way to look after the,. i.e acceptable, and i just go further.

so so sad

I agree :( When I got Jen, me & my friend were talking about her & another girl was listening in (very intelligent girl too..) and she was like 'You cant get aggressive rabbits?! Its a rabbit!!!' and laughed...:? X

its ok you can only educate...iv asked a girl off work (really nice her bun looks loverly and has a loverly hutch and run area) to join here as we were talking buns and she asked how old mine were on hearing chelsea was 10 she was in shock...her mum told her they only lived to 4.... hers is 3 i told her all about ru and she is plannin to have a look :)wave: if you already here..not mentioning your name hun we all still learning!) it is mainly as people dont know a lot about buns they say that type of thing and majority dont think they being mean they just dont know enough! its all about education education education!!! gota admit i have learnt 10x the amount if not more since joining!

oh me too by far... my buns had smaller (tho not tiny) hutches and were single and unneutured.

but i was so willing to learn...what makes me sad is how some people just dont even question it... i came searching for a forum because i wanted to make their lives better

People at my school "Your rabbits live in a playjouse??"

Me: Well Yea!
Them: That is just stupid
Me: No its not... etc

It gets me SOO MAD!!
Jack x

I think us lot are sadly in the minority who actully care for and understand what rabbits need :( I had family over on saturday and they were like OMG why is their hutch so big? makes me sad that people think they can just shove their bunnies into tiny hutch's and leave them :cry::evil:

Maybe use the analogy of humans - that's what I always do. If someone says "why are they living somewhere so huge?" just ask them "well would you prefer to live in a bedsit or a mansion?" :)

AMETHYST

:lol: Nice one Amethyst.

My parents and friends think I'm way too obsesssed building big runs and getting the best hay etc. But at the end of the day they are like my children, permenantly vulnerable hildren so I must go above and beyond what duty requires. Its love that propels us all to do our best.

Well what is the fun about leaving the bunny in a small hutch and only see it to feed it? No wonder people think bunnies are such boring pets:evil:

i mean my bunnie were never misrable before, they were always clean and well fed etc, and had nice hutches..

now...there hutches are fourtimes the size, they r bonded, get a diff selection of food etc etc... and they are so HAPPY. i cnt see why sum1 wudnt want their pets 2 be happy...?

I understand your frustration - the other day at work someone was talking about vet bills & i said it cost me around £200-£250 to get Hugo through myxi & one of my colleagues was is total shock, saying something along the lines of 'WHAT?! You must be mad - he'dve been fine in a few weeks' :shock: dead more like.The sad thing is, this man has rabbits of his own :(

the big problem with rabbits as pets is they are silent, they dont complain so stupid ignorant people assume they are happy with no love or proper care :cry::cry::cry::cry:

cats will just leave home and a dog will whine if its not happy.. poor little bunnies dont seem to have a voice at all :cry::cry:

im really chuffed cus theres two people who keep rabbits at work, one who just tolerates his cus its the wifes and he said no to a new bunny but the other one openly adores his pair and we have lovely chats about the buns and they are gorgeous little things too :love: (yup hes bought in photos for me lol)

It's nice when you can change minds though. When my BIL and SIL used to come round and see our house bunnies running about they were really confused at first.
Now they have one of their own and my SIL actually said to me " I never knew rabbits were this interesting, I just thought they sat in a hutch and did nothing, but now I see that they play and have a personality" :)

If only more people could see that side of them they might see what they are doing when they lock them away. Even my outdoor bunnies have 24/7 access to their run and toys. Still, we can change one mind at a time.

i must admit.. as i mentioned before i thought buns were just left in their hutches as i heard they didnt like to be handled however, once i researched to decide whether i did want a bun or not i found out about house rabbits, and i learnt more and more everyday i bet those people have never had the delight of seeing a bun binky or flop out or come up wanting to be stroked and licking lol

whenever people ask why the hutch is so big and all the toys etc etc i just say well, would you want to be stuck in a tiny room all day with nothing to do

In class the other day we was on a break, and i was checking my order of an online site where id ordered treats 4 the buns...

and sum1 in my class went 'why r u so obsessed with youre rabbits'

me: "Im not, anything but actually! Im not 'extreme' i just look after them they way they shud be looked after"

him: "But they dont need all this stuff, its just a waste of money"

me: "what so i should put them in a tiny hutch nd just give them food and water every day n then leave them?"

him: "well yeh.."

and the sad thing was he wast being rude. he genuinlly didnt understand. I wasnt angry...i tried to explain... but he thinks thats the 'right/normal' way to look after the,. i.e acceptable, and i just go further.

so so sad

how intriguing :? ask him, why would he bother going to the effort and expense of keeping a pet if he wasnt going to do the best he could for it. i would be interested to ehar his answer. :)

Well ppl are always on at me at work saying stupid jokes about rabbits and taking the ****! i laugh normally and say whatever...but everones always saying how im always onhere and going on about it and this morn someone stuck bunny picvs up on my desk for a laf!ha ha very funny! they were always saying 'oh god not rabbit hutches again' when i was hutch hunting and iv just gone crazy saying 'listen...will everyone stop being so concerned with what i do, its none of ur bloody business!!!!' i caused a bit of fuss!!:evil:

We were sorting out our new name badges at Tesco a few weeks back and everyone was saying to me "I bet you'd want a picture of a rabbit on yours!!" and I'm just like "Well, yea I would actually!" (but theres no bunny so I have a butterfly) and I have text on it saying "I like pets" so I have a conversation starter, but so many folks from my department kept saying "I thought it was just rabbits you liked not all pets!" Why would I bother putting it there if I didn't like other animals?!

I tell customers not to feed their rabbit Tesco value rabbit & guinea pig food and I refused to sell those tiny hutches. I'm only trying to help a little, but I get made out to be crazy rabbit lady!

I'm lucky at my other job though. We all have rabbits so we're always sharing bunny stories. We even have a collection tin for my local rabbit rescue and we sell pens & badges.

how intriguing :? ask him, why would he bother going to the effort and expense of keeping a pet if he wasnt going to do the best he could for it. i would be interested to ehar his answer. :)

spoke 2 him today and he said that he does do the best he can 4 his pets he just doesnt believe they need all this stuff!

cant tell you how many people have given me the response.... you dont live with them in your house, they belong in a cage in the garden!. they seem to think they should be in a hutch and are only for when you want to play with them, what 1 hr a day if that!. i get a bit angry and try to explain that buns are like cats and other animals, you would never cage them for 23hrs a day, so why should buns be different!.

had a friend come over the other day, and cause we had ''bun cam'' on (my shauny has a thing for weeing on my bed so i like to keep an eye:) he actually saw him binking, running, just enjoying himself. he couldnt believe it, he said i never thought they did that. he honsetly thought they just slept and ate and belonged in a hutch!. im glad i changed his mind tho!:).

think bunny lovers need to keep tellin people the real way buns act and what they need (although sometimes its like banging ur head on a brick wall!)
xxx

Back