• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrots!!!

Neil-and-Maria

Warren Veteran
Anyone have any fabulous ideas on how to store carrots for the summer? :D

Ours are all turning to mush and stink. :( *looks for a puking smiley*

Last year we individually wrapped each one in kitchen towel and put in the fridge but surely there's a better way?

Maria x

If you have a cool shed or a cellar with a bit of space then you could try getting a crate, filling it with a layer sand or clean (bug free) earth, adding the carrots and then covering them up with another layer. I did this last year (using one of those pop up bins in the shed) and we were still digging out carrots in September :D

PS. we trimmed the tops off our carrots (they were home grown) before putting them in the crate :)

Bucket of water? :? in the fridge is what we do at work but this isn't exactly practical outside work because in real life we don't have walk in fridges but perhaps the bucket of water might help? :?

I store my carrots in the fridge or in the cardbrobe under the stairs :lol:

Just before anyone thinks I'm totally crazy, I assumed we were talking about a *lot* of carrots here... we had hundreds from our veggie patch last season and didn't want any to go to waste. We do also have a fridge, honest :oops: :lol:

I have this problem too as I buy by the sack so can't fit them in the fridge. I normally have to put them in the shade with a wet towel over them. It gives them a couple of extra days but I normally end up with a lot of waste and having to buy 2 or 3 sacks a week rather than just the one

You can put them in a clamp. Which is how they used to store root veg years ago. I think you dig a pit and line it with sand, put in the carrots and then cover them with sand. I think you have to use sand so that water drains freely and the carrots stay fresh. You can do the same to store potatoes.

Good luck :wave: I know it works at work with the carrots with tops on :wave:

(I work in a greengrocers and deal with carrots there and I deal with carrots at home with the furries, no getting away from carrots here)

We buy horse carrots by the sack - a few too many for the fridge!

Will try the sand/earth idea - will any type of sand earth work?

Will also fill a bucket with water and see what happens!!

Maria x

You can store them in any very slightly damp organic compost and sharp sand mixture (not builders sand or lawn sand) ....maybe add a bit of straw too on the bottom for ventilation. Keep them in a cool place like a garage.

YOu can also buy stay fresh bags which make things last about 3 times as long and you can reuse them about 4 -5 times. In a fridge they should last about 2 months.......

wow iv just learnt how to keep my potatoes going off too! what a useful thread! ...would scurry off to dig a hole(sure the buns would help) but its too dark..hmm have to be tommorrow now!

We buy horse carrots by the sack - a few too many for the fridge!

Will try the sand/earth idea - will any type of sand earth work?

Will also fill a bucket with water and see what happens!!

Maria x

I buy them by the sack then fill the two draws at the bottom of the fridge full :lol:

Back