• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy.... U/D He is gone

loopylop

Wise Old Thumper
Well, Rudy seems to have another problem to add to the list. He is now developing a sore hock :( Its starting to get a little red at the base of his foot.

I know that sudacrem should help this... anything else? I'm not completely sure how he has developed this :?

I think I have come to the conclusion that I am now dealing with an elderly bun whois going to need a different level of care. Has anyone got any tips to help keep him comfortable? I've not had an elderly bun before!

Thanks in advance :)

Awwwww Noodle I know how it feels to have age related aches and pains :rolleyes:

If your hock is getting very sore then ask Mummy Laura to talk to the ( pesky :roll:) Vet about some Flamazine Cream. I have lots of Rex Bunnies and they are prone to sore hocks. Flamazine Cream really helps but it is a prescription only med' so Mummy Laura will need to obtain it via a Vet.

Now, if you want a real laugh, you could get Mummy Laura to try a wee bit of haemorrhoid cream on your sore hocks first. That can be a good treatment and has the addded benefit of a local anaesthetic. Oh, and of course there is the fun of getting Mummy to have to endure the embarassment of buying haemorrhoid cream !! :lol::lol:

Immobility can lead to sore hocks. So if your immobility is due to age related arthritic discomfort ( tell me about it :roll: ) then some Metacam may help.

Janex :)

aww how old is rudy then? also possibly change what she is living on? what is her current bedding and living arrangements?

Oh Jane, that post made me giggle! Esp the bit about me buying haemorrhoid cream :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I feel I am at a different level with Rudy being an old bun now and am not experienced in this area at all, so may be picking yours (and others on the lovely RU forum) for advice quite often....

I am really thinking that now it may be mobility problems.

I am taking Sophie to the vet tomorrow for her vaccs but am seeing the vet that I take Rudy to, so will ask her while I am there for the cream for his little footise :( Would something like Savlon be ok in the meantime? :? I don't think I have had any sudacrem in (can't get any either as I've had a beer).

At the minute, he is just one newspaper and has woodbased litter in his trays. Is there anything I should be putting in his cage to make him more comfortable? :?

Poor little man :cry:

aww how old is rudy then? also possibly change what she is living on? what is her current bedding and living arrangements?

Hiya, he is at least 7... he has newspaper and woodbased litter in his trays....

I am thinking of getting him some vet bed (he already has some but will pick up some new ones) and putting that down.

i put soft hay and straw down when chelsea got sore hocks and they cleared up with a bit of suucream but jane sounds like she knows a lot more about hocks than me! gota say never tried the hemmoroid cream !d

He aint coming back here, I have enough with my own aches and a very big pain called David (I'm only kidding on the David score):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh Jane, that post made me giggle! Esp the bit about me buying haemorrhoid cream :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I feel I am at a different level with Rudy being an old bun now and am not experienced in this area at all, so may be picking yours (and others on the lovely RU forum) for advice quite often....

I am really thinking that now it may be mobility problems.

I am taking Sophie to the vet tomorrow for her vaccs but am seeing the vet that I take Rudy to, so will ask her while I am there for the cream for his little footise :( Would something like Savlon be ok in the meantime? :? I don't think I have had any sudacrem in (can't get any either as I've had a beer).

At the minute, he is just one newspaper and has woodbased litter in his trays. Is there anything I should be putting in his cage to make him more comfortable? :?

Poor little man :cry:

Will Noodle nibble Vetbed? If not you could try using that as his main substrate. If his hocks are just a bit reddish then I would leave applying anything to them til you can get some haemorrhoid cream ( You can buy it in supermarkets and can therefore avoid some :oops: :oops: !! )

I really cannot praise Flamazine Cream enough though. Lady Lydia had horrendous ulcerated and bleeding hocks and it was Flamazine that brought about a huge improvement

Janex :)

i put soft hay and straw down when chelsea got sore hocks and they cleared up with a bit of suucream but jane sounds like she knows a lot more about hocks than me! gota say never tried the hemmoroid cream !d

Thanks, I will pick up some suda if I dont get the cream first.

Kay, you need to be nice to my little noodle, he is a bit sad tonight and Sophie isn't giving him any loving :roll: Good job he has his teddy!

Thanks Suzanne,

Right, he is booked into the vets this avo with Sophie.

I will mention the cream for his foot and some metcam I think.

I put his snuggle safe in this morning and he was straight on it, eating his porridge! :love: Bless him.

Rudy has piles :shock: Hay dear, hay :lol:

I hope his hocks improve, & this has really made me think about Bertie getting older, which I'd not really considered before, and how things will change for him :)

Soph is always nice:D, she is just a very independant bun and knows what she wants and when she wants it:D

Poor Noodle, the things that bun will go to to get extra attention of mummy;):D

Rudy has piles :shock: Hay dear, hay :lol:

I hope his hocks improve, & this has really made me think about Bertie getting older, which I'd not really considered before, and how things will change for him :)

Yeh, I hadn't thought about it before now :? Not sure why as it's inevitable really :(

And thanks Phill!

Kayj - Sophie, always nice :shock: Hmm... :lol: Except when she is biting at noodle thorough the cages and taking fur off his nose :lol:

I am glad we are at the vets, he is sat sleeping in the corner of his cage :( Doesn't look too comfortable, but he is still weeing, eating and pooping ok. I hope the vet can help him today, I can't take much more of seeing him so sad looking :(

Laura, give me a ring when you have been to the vets. Poor little chap give him a snuggle from me.

Will do Kay, I tried earlier but I think you were on the phone :lol: (Haven't been to vets yet)

Will call when I get back and give everyone here an update....

<Goes to get credit card ready> :rolleyes: :lol:

Back