• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Rabbit Butt?

Hey guys, I just joined here because I do not know what to do with my bunny Orville. Hes a mini lop and I rescued him from a shelter.

Litter training is going wonderful, every day is getting better and better, but he likes to hang out in his litter box, and in turn, he sits on all of his poop. I have provided a house for him, but he still likes to lay down in there.

This causes him to get a brown bottom, and I have rinsed him off once, but it happens again and again, and I dont know how to make it better or to help him stop from sitting and hanging out in his litter box.

For other details, I clean his litter box daily, and i clean the rest of his cage every morning and spot clean when it gets messy, so he is def not living in a dirty cage! I just dont know how to get him clean!

^^ my rabbit does that to! Her cage is super clean, its just her that smells! :lol: I wound like to know what to do about it to please :)

xx

Most, if not all rabbits like to chill out in their litter box, some even sleep in it! I don't really know what to suggest, sorry. Just wanted you to know that it's perfectly normal behaviour.

There is nothing wrong with a bunny lying in their litter tray, it's what they do.

It is a problem, however, if the poos is not dry and hard. When you say he has a brown bottom do you mean that he has diarrhoea or is it small wet lumps of poo?

Do you know about caecal poos and secondary poos?

A bunny can not get all the protein that he needs from his food the first time he eats so he has to re-ingest the caecal poos and they get broken down second time around and come out (if all is well) as good round fibrous golden poos. If this is not happening there could be a number of reasons.

Normally if a bunny is being fed too much and is overweight, he won't be able to reach his bottom to re-eat the caecal poos. They will then just get sat on and stick to the fur (very dangerous as this is what attracts flies and can cause flystrike).

If your bunny is overweight then you need to get some dietary advice and try and reduce the amount of pellets/vegetables he is getting. Too many veg can cause a mucky bottom too.

A rabbit's diet should consist of about 80-90% hay (fibre) and a small amount of veg and then a even smaller amount of pelleted food.

If you don't think that this is dietary, then you need to possibly see a vet because there are various medical conditions that cause mucky bottoms.

It won't matter if a bunny sits in his litter tray on a normal golden poo. Rabbits like to chew their hay and poo at the same time.

Helen

No there are not like little balls of poop stuck to his fur, it all comes off, his fur is just tinged brown and kind of sticky-ish from sitting on it. And he isnt overweight and cleans himself.

His poops are all normal, no diarrhea or anything, he just gets a brown butt when he sits and it rubs his fur. I just dont want people to see him and think i am neglecting him..

But if it happens often then i guess its not something to worry about, but does anybody know how to keep his fur white then? and an easy way to clean him off every so often?

So should i take out his house and just put in another litter box where it was?
Here are two pics of the guy!:D

15efmnq.jpg

ev6lfo.jpg

I'd try putting a tray with hay in there, he would probably like to sit in that instead. Hopefully any poos will fall through the hay and then he won't be sat directly on them.:)

Aaaaawwwwh he's cute and he's got a charlie nose!

Yep, I'd agree, put some hay in his tray and he won't be sitting directly on it.

Let us know how you get on!

Back