• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Babies, 6 days... fur colour?!

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
Babies are now 6 days old and I held them for the first time... they're all velvety :)

In the nest
2008_04296daybabies0006.jpg

baby 1
2008_04296daybabies0008.jpg

baby 2
2008_04296daybabies0009.jpg

baby 3
2008_04296daybabies0010.jpg

baby 4
2008_04296daybabies0013.jpg

baby 5
2008_04296daybabies0020.jpg

Baby 1 is lighter than the other dark ones and seems to be showing signs of being a dark agouti...? All of the dark babies have some white markings on their head, mouth toes etc... Baby 5 (Uno) is fairly well spotted!

All still seem healthy and well fed :D

Agouti animals are born black as the tips of the fur is black - like when you get new fur coming through after a moult. I don't know how long it takes for it to get to the brown parts - they develop very quickly so I would say you should have a better idea in about 3 days time when they have more of a coat.

Agouti animals are born black as the tips of the fur is black - like when you get new fur coming through after a moult. I don't know how long it takes for it to get to the brown parts - they develop very quickly so I would say you should have a better idea in about 3 days time when they have more of a coat.

Thanks for that :D
Baby 1 is certainly showing it :D
Daddy was is very dark brown - almost black... Roz is agouti, but we think that Daphne might be Roz's mum, and Daphne is black and white...
It'll be interesting to see how they develop :)

adorable!

when jelly had her babies at day 9 two looked black but diff 'shades', then by day 11 one was agouti and one was still black and by day 14 u cud really see the colour

I'm pretty sure the last one is a harlequin...or I think its called magpie in English when they're black and white. (In Norway we just call it black and white Japanese)
Cute! :D

Back