• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tylers been neutered today

shazzy81

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I dont post very much here but i do read the posts regulary.

I thought i would post to say that Tyler (1yr dwarf lop) has today been neutered. I dropped him off at 8.30 and picked him up at 4pm. They are very pleased with how well he has come round and to fair he looks much better than i thought he would. Ive put a fleece blanket in his cage and a puppy training pad in his toilet instead of his normal megazorb.

He has got to go back tomorrow for a jab to make him go the toilet and a check on the wound. They also filed his teeth today.

Is there anything i need to do over the next few days? How long should i keep him off megazorb? When can he start playing etc again?

Thanks

My boys were as right as rein by then end of the day. A bit subdued maybe! They will do what they feel like doing - just keep an extra close eye on them and make sure they have their appetite and are pooing ok.

It's good that he is going back to the vets tomorrow because then the vet can give him a quick check over. I'm sure all will be fine.

Neuturing of a boy is a simple procedure and not intrusive - it is far worse for the girls (as normal!)
Em x

Well ive tried tempting him with a cabbage leaf but no luck. Doesnt look like hes drunk anything yet. He hasnt had a wee or a poo yet either. We have been back nearly 2 hours now.

Give it time. Make sure he is comfortable and relaxed and put in any food you can think of that he'll be tempted by. My Duncan loves weetabix and Frank loves dried banana. Just anything and see how you go.

Now I didn't have to do it with my boys as they were fine after but with one of my girls after she was spayed she wasn't too good. I got a pippet and got water into her that way and she responded really well to that? It wouldn't hurt giving it a try?
Em x

Just thought aswell, I go outside and cut some grass with some scissors and put it in a bowl for them (the neighbours think I'm loopy loo). They can never resist that!

Last edited:
I think hes comfy. Hes nodding off on at the moment. I guess sleep is a good cure.

I did think about a syringe of water later if i havent noticed him drinking. However i dont think hes a big drinker at the best of times.

Can teeth being too long cause a bunny to have soft poo?

Perhaps give the syringe drinking a go just before bed - you never know he may take it.

Also, the teeth query. It will have an effect on his poo yes but only because if his teeth are too long he may find it difficult eating hard dry food i.e. hay, pellets. Why? Do you think he has teeth problems? What is his poos like? Has he had a poo since his op?

By the way is he inside?

Tyler is a house bunny so yes hes in the warm and safe.

Tyler has not had a poo since the op. He has had a wee or two. Hes eaten some parsley and looks a bit more awake and lively.

His soft poo is not runny, its very dark brown and starts off as small flat bits about a quarter of the size of a normal poo. These are soft enough to stick together, which they do when he sits on it in his toilet, which then turns it into a kind off sticky cow pat!! Im sorry for the detail but i dont know how else to explain it!! Its not the sticky coated poo that i know is good for them to eat. After he has had a soft poo the rest of his poo for that day will be normal and firm.

Thank you for the help and advice.

Update on Tyler...

Well before i went to work this morning i was a bit worried as he still hadnt done a poo. Then just before i walked out the door he did 3 little pellets!! I was relieved.

He ate half a carrot, a cabbage leaf and some parsley last night. Today hes eaten half a carrot, cabbage leaf, parsley and some hay. Hes been back to the vets tonight for his 2 jabs for his tummy and the vet is happy with the wound. If i feel hes still not eating properly in the next 24 hours i have to take him back.

Hes quite perky tonight though so im feeling positive. How long should i keep him from jumping? How long should i leave the megazorb out of his toilet and cage?

Gald to hear he has perked up. I don't think you can stop him from jumping! he'll only do what he feels like doing and if he does jump then at least he must be feeling ok!

Back