• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food for baby rabbits

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

The lady from the RSPCA just came and checked on Hunny - she's happy and so are we. But, while she was here, she did comment that Mustard should have more than just pelleted food, to give him some fresh food.

Now, the lady in the shop where we got him, said he cant eat fresh food till he's 14 weeks. He's 10 weeks old, and is eating waaaaay more than the 2 palmfuls of Supreme Science Selective pellets that she told me to give anyway, and his stools are perfectly formed. So, am I safe to try him with a little fresh food, and which veggies would you recommend starting with?

Thanks in advance...

Carmen

You could try giving him tiny pieces of vegetables, just make sure he doesn't get diarreah. I feed my 4 week old baby buns vegetables now but that's because their mother got used to having them during pregnancy, so the kits god used to veggies through the milk.

I have got 3 3wk ld buns and they are eating bits of fresh veg and they are absolutely fine:D

It's fine for rabbits to eat fresh foods from when they start nibbling at 2-3 weeks old. The problem occurs when the mother rabbit never has greens, the baby never has greens, they end up in a pet shop too young, go to a new home at 6-8 weeks then get fed a handful of greens and their guts goes yikes what is that!!

After a few days settling in, I would introduce greens slow - few bites at a time and watch the poops. So long as there is no issues just built up types and quantities gradually.

Don't feed more pellets, two handfuls (approx. 50g) is plenty even for a growing bun. Make him top up on hay instead that way he gets into good eating habbits and his teeth/gut will stay in good shape.

The best greens to start with are anything green and leafy.

Tam

parsely is quite nice to start with although its a bit high in calcium or strawberry/black berry leaves if you can get them. IF not try spring greens which you can get from tesco.

Thank you all very much for your quick responses!

Mustard had about a square inch of broccoli leaf from the garden earlier. He loved it and wolfed it down in about 2 minutes! He's had a mad run around the lounge and now he's dozing off to sleep in his hutch.

Thanks again - will try more of the same tomorrow if his tummy handles this ok.

Carmen

Back