• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

orphan or runnaway?

TikTok

New Kit
Hi

We recently found a young rabbit in the garden. The fence is 5 feet tall and sealed right around and it's a mystery as to how the little fellow got in and how long he'd been there.

It has no immediate signs of any ill health or wounds from a predator attack. We put it in a box to rest overnight with some leaves and water and and it's eating and drinking and passing waste normally. It doesn't seem to mind being handled or petted and will sit in the palm of your hand even when three dogs are sniffing around it!

I'm afraid that if we release it in a field and it's a domistic rabbit it will die or if we keep it and it's wild, it'll be unhappy

I'll try and upload some pics to see if anyone can help

27-04-08_1750.jpg

27-04-08_1749.jpg

If it doesnt seem afraid of dogs, dont release it! It could be a wild one a cat brought in and maybe your dog scared the cat.... or could be a domestic bun a cat brought in. It also looks very well fed in the second pic, are you sure someone hasnt dumped it in your garden knowing you like rabbits??

Can you give him some clean fresh grass to eat, if he's wild he'll be used to it, theres a lot of dandelions in there. Also where are you and have you contacted anyone, a vet should be able to point you in the right direction.

He/she is gorgeous. :love:

Last edited:
That looks like a little wild bun to me. It could be that a hawk/cat has managed to get hold of it and dropped it into your garden. I wouldn't release it but try and get in touch with any local rabbits rescues who might take it off your hands. Wild rabbits don't always cope well when kept in captivity but if kept in a suitable environment they can be rehabilitated. A local rescue should have experience of this :)

If he's not completely terrified by you and the dogs then he won't last long in the wild anyway. Who knows how he got to you, but I think he is very lucky that he found your garden :) . I would check with your neighbours and if noone has lost him then keep him until you can find a place for him permanently. If you can keep him safe and he is in good health then he probably wont be a priority for rescue centres, but they may help.

Something must have dropped it because there's no other way it could have got in, that's one question answered, many thanks.

We have 2 west highland whites and a "jack russell" and when we allowed them to have a sniff the rabbit seemed quite relaxed but I'm not an expert.

We live in Newcastle upon Tyne so if anyone has any contacts that could advise we'd be very grateful

What would be the obvious signs of a terrified rabbit?

We're going shopping soon and will get it some hay to munch on, it ate all those dandilions but I wont give it any more till it's ate some hay and grass

I think we may have a new pet but I'd still prefer to release it if that's whats best

We're going shopping soon and will get it some hay to munch on, it ate all those dandilions but I wont give it any more till it's ate some hay and grass

I think we may have a new pet but I'd still prefer to release it if that's whats best

hi,

I will PM you a rescue's number who has a lot of experience hand rearing wild baby rabbits...but they are based in Richmond. Gwen will give you a lot of advice on what to do.

Please don't release him where you are because he is most likely far from home and after being handled and being in a home environment he will be easy prey and most likely not survive.

Thank you for all your help and advice, I'll let you know what happens to the little fellow. We wont release it unless someone with experience advises so.

A terrified rabbit would be squatting down as low as he could and he would be visibly shaking with fear.

He/she has just been sitting in my hand with ears up and no sign of any shaking. weve bpught it a new house and filled it with hay and grass and left it alone to get used to it. We also got some pellets which the guy in the shop said was a complete feed. If there's anything else we can do please advise

I will add more pics soon

It looks like a wild rabbit to me - do you have a wildlife rescue near you. In an unfamilar surrounding or if the can't escape a rabbit will freeze (not shake) rather than fleeing so it maybe it just isn't showing outward signs of fear from your dogs.

Back